Mouse connection dies upon sleep/wake cycle of MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I have a Logitech M510 wireless usb mouse. This is my first Mac so I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not.. I can't use the mouse upon the computer waking up from sleep because it seems the USB 3.0 is shut down when the computer sleeps. Turning off and on the mouse doesn't fix the connection. I have to physically remove the nano dongle and put it back in for the mouse to be functional. Is this normal with Mac OS X?

I'm running OS X 10.8.2 on a 13" mid-2012 MBP 2.9ghz 8gb ram. I have the Logitech Control Center installed (the one for 10.8) and I've contacted Logitech numerous times but they always tell me to test it on another mac. Well I don't know anybody else who has a mac! All our laptops here in this house are PC's. The mouse works fine on a PC waking up.

I was thinking that a bluetooth mouse might solve this problem but I really can't find any bluetooth mice that have 5 buttons (forward and back buttons, along with the scroll wheel functions). So I seem stuck here. What should I do to see if this really is a defect of my computer or mouse? Do any of you have this problem with a wireless USB mouse? This is driving me insane!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a Logitech M510 wireless usb mouse. This is my first Mac so I'm not sure if this is "normal" or not.. I can't use the mouse upon the computer waking up from sleep because it seems the USB 3.0 is shut down when the computer sleeps. Turning off and on the mouse doesn't fix the connection. I have to physically remove the nano dongle and put it back in for the mouse to be functional. Is this normal with Mac OS X?

No, it's not normal but it should be easy enough to test your USB ports. Do other USB devices have the same problem when you bring the machine out of sleep? If not, the ports are probably OK.

Double check all your energy and mouse settings in System Preferences plus go back over the settings in the Logitech Control Center. As a note, I've had problems with various Logitech mice over the years even when the Control Center software was current.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes both USB ports react the same. Early on when I got my MBP I tested both ports with sleep mode and they both have the issue of not wanting the mouse to work unless i unplug and plug it back in. I'm not sure I have any corded usb mice around to test to see if it would happen with it.

I've been through the energy settings and mouse settings numerous times. I don't see anything that might help. Computer sleep, 1 hr. Display sleep, 45 minutes. There is nothing in the Logitech Control Center that would help with sleep, etc. The only things I can do there are to change mouse button functions and see how the battery life is of the mouse.

If there are hidden areas that I could modify that aren't in the System Prefs then please let me know, being a new mac user I don't know all the ins and outs of my mac. :)

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a bluetooth mouse. Now I have issues with that mouse disconnecting and me having to reconnect it multiple times per day. *sigh* Oh well. Anyone here have issues with bluetooth mice disconnecting so often?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.