Buying 2 nd - Advise Needed

Reaction score
I am considering buying a mini mac. However a friend of mine is selling her Mac Pro with the
following details :

MAC OS X version 10.5.8
Processeur: 2,66GHz
Memoire 2GO
Bought in 2008
With keyboard and mouse
Microsoft WORD, EXCEL & PPT 2011 installed

How does it compare to a mini Mac and how much should the asking price be ? What do you think about buying a computer that is nearly 6 years old ?

Thank You.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The new Mac Mini will likely outperform that Mac Pro in just about every aspect.

If purchased in '08, that should be the very first Intel MP introduced in Aug '06 and discontinued in Jan '08.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
B
Reaction score
Impossible to tell you...since you haven't given us any specification info on the Mac-Mini you're speaking of.

I your original post...you didn't even tell us if this Mac-Mini was new or used!!!

- Nick

I have given the details of the Mac Pro which is for sale. The Mac mini costs around €600 but is
brand new and the Mac Pro is a 2008 model. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have given the details of the Mac Pro which is for sale. The Mac mini costs around €600 but is
brand new and the Mac Pro is a 2008 model. ;)

Sorry...I got confused with your posts...since you're talking about 2 computers at the same time (Mac Pro and Mac-Mini). I edited my post above answering your question.

As "bobtomay" mentioned...getting the Mac-Mini would probably be the better choice...especially since both computers are relatively close in price. So it really doesn't make sense to pursue the Mac Pro...unless you can get it for a lot less money than the Mac-Mini.

And even then...you would still be much better off with the Mac-Mini...since that Mac Pro CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS (10.8, Mountain Lion). And as time goes on...that Mac Pro will get more & more antiquated.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
That does make sense. I wasn't too keen of forking out such a large sum of money for quite an old computer.

Thank you for your advise.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does make sense. I wasn't too keen of forking out such a large sum of money for quite an old computer.

Thank you for your advise.

There is the size difference as well!!! Mac Pro...BIG and HEAVY! Mac-Mini...teeny-weeny!;)

If you were talking about:

- a newer Mac Pro
- a newer Mac Pro with 8 or more cores
- you had specific needs like being able to run 4, 6, or 8 monitors simultaneously
- wanted to have 4 internal hard drives
- wanted two internal DVD drives
- needed more than 16gig of ram (the latest Mac Pro's can have up to 128gig of ram)

Then maybe a Mac Pro might be a better choice. But then to purchase a newer Mac Pro...you would be spending a HECK of a lot more money than the cost of a Mac-Mini!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. And just to repeat what I mentioned above. The Mac Pro you mentioned CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS. Which means it most likely will not be able to run any newer OS versions as they are released! VERY IMPORTANT!!!:)

OP
B
Reaction score
There is the size difference as well!!! Mac Pro...BIG and HEAVY! Mac-Mini...teeny-weeny!;)

If you were talking about:

- a newer Mac Pro
- a newer Mac Pro with 8 or more cores
- you had specific needs like being able to run 4, 6, or 8 monitors simultaneously
- wanted to have 4 internal hard drives
- wanted two internal DVD drives
- needed more than 16gig of ram (the latest Mac Pro's can have up to 128gig of ram)

Then maybe a Mac Pro might be a better choice. But then to purchase a newer Mac Pro...you would be spending a HECK of a lot more money than the cost of a Mac-Mini!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. And just to repeat what I mentioned above. The Mac Pro you mentioned CANNOT run the latest version of the Mac OS. Which means it most likely will not be able to run any newer OS versions as they are released! VERY IMPORTANT!!!:)

What is an OS ? I've never had a Mac !:Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is an OS ? I've never had a Mac !:Oops:

OS = Operating System.

If you do not understand what an "operating system" is or means...I would suggest doing some searching on the internet to learn more.:)

And if you have never owned a Macintosh computer before...or used a Macintosh computer to know how the Mac OS works...I sure hope that you know what you're doing.

Because if you've only used Windows computers before...there are some differences...and some folks have more difficulty than others making the switch. Macintosh computers are not hard...it's really more of a "flexibility to change" issue with some folks!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I only joined this forum to get some advise concerning Mac computers. It was suggested to me by a member on another forum as I am considering switching to a Mac as they are easy to use. I'm not a computer expert and what must seem easy to most of you, is double dutch to me.
I only need a computer for basics ; photos, word and e mails.
I have used a Mac back in the 1980s.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only joined this forum to get some advise concerning Mac computers. It was suggested to me by a member on another forum as I am considering switching to a Mac as they are easy to use. I'm not a computer expert and what must seem easy to most of you, is double dutch to me.
I only need a computer for basics ; photos, word and e mails.
I have used a Mac back in the 1980s.

When someone is buying a new computer...it's easy. You give Apple your credit card...and Apple gives you a brand new computer (with all of the latest "bells & whistles").

When you buy a used computer...things can be much more complex...and you need to be MUCH more knowledgeable. Otherwise you may end up purchasing something that is:

- overpriced
- outdated/antiquated
- or may not even work properly

Long story short. I think that with your Macintosh knowledge base and computing needs...(as already recommended above)...you would be MUCH better off purchasing a brand new Mac-Mini!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. Remember. With a Mac-Mini you need to have your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If you don't already have these...then the total cost of purchasing a Mac-Mini is higher. Sometimes high enough...that it really makes more sense to purchase a lower end iMac computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
You are better off with mac mini, just get a monitor, keyboard and mouse. That it is.

OP
B
Reaction score
I already have a Fujitsu keyboard, Philips screen and a Lochitech mouse. Apparently they are all compatable as I have asked for advise an my other thread in this section.
I also think it would be wiser to buy a brand new computer with a guarantee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
You are good to go, why wait.
If you do not mind can you let us know what mini mac you are going to get ?
you can easily upgrade to 16gb ram or 8gb, say your stock mini is 4gb, also hard drive is easy to upgrade.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have a Fujitsu keyboard, Philips screen and a Lochitech mouse. Apparently they are all compatable as I have asked for advise an my other thread in this section.
I also think it would be wiser to buy a brand new computer with a guarantee.

Sounds like you are all set!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully ! I'll be needing a lot of help when I purchase it as it must be so different to
a pc.:Oops:

We have plenty of 'Sticky/Help" threads for that. Please check them out when you have a chance.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.