Operating system wont install

Reaction score
hi
we have a brand new mac book proMc725ll/a
It came with 4 gig of ram and a 750 gig hard drive
I upgraded to 16 gig of ram and a 256 SSD
we booted up and used the recovery install.
I goes thru a formating mode and then begins the install. after a time it faults out and gives a missing component error.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong
Thanks in advance
Marc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming your new MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.2. You removed the 750 GB HDD and replaced it with a 250 GB SSD? And also removed the 4 GB and replaced it with 2 x 8 GB modules? Tell us exactly what you did.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I removed the 750gb hdd and also the original 4gb of memory and replaced them with a 250gb ssd and 16gb of memory. I restarted while holding option and when I tried to first reinstal os x through the web (since my mac came with no install disc), the mac showed no hard drives so I used disk utitlity and erased the ssd making it the exended journal format. Then again went to the reinstall os x and it appered and I clicked agree three time and it downloaded for about 2 hours. Then stopped when an error came up saying missing componet or similar problem. I'm doing it for the third time right now so I'll update it with an exact quote.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I just wanted to confirm what you did. Downloading Mountain Lion from Apple with a slow connection is going to garner errors. You're just going to have to keep at it unless you can go somewhere else like an Apple store and download. Their connection is very fast.

Also, I suggest when you do complete the download that you make a bootable flash drive and save it as backup. See the instructions here. (You will need at least a 8 GB flash drive.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.