transferring software to a mac mini from a PC over ethernet cable

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never had a Mac before but I'm about to spend an obscene amount on a Mac Mini to run music software, and as my wallet is feeling a bit sore I'm just wondering whether I can save a bit of cash by not immediately getting a remote cd/dvd drive for it but instead transferring software over from my existing laptop PC (a Dell Inspiron).

I've bought a copy of Native Instruments Komplete 8 and I was envisioning installing it on the laptop and then transferring the files over to the Mac using an ethernet cable. I've never used an ethernet cable before and I've read that to transfer files from a PC to Mac using one you might have to use a 'crossover' cable depending on the model of Mac.

Does anyone know a) whether this would work and b) exactly what cable I would need?

Thanks very much for any help,
Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you may be getting ahead of yourself...or at least we may need more information.

Is the software that you have on your Windows computer compatible with Macintosh computers? 99.9% of the time (maybe 100% of the time)...software installed on a Windows computer is NOT compatible with a Macintosh computer.

What I mean by compatible is...you cannot just simply "copy" a program that was installed on a Windows computer to a Macintosh computer via an ethernet cable, and expect it to work. Windows computers & Macintosh computer "speak" different languages.

Some software titles do come on CD's/DVD's that have separate installers for a Windows computer and a Macintosh computer...this is something you need to determine. But MANY software titles for Windows computers are "Windows Only".

If the software you want to install is "Windows Only" you still have some options to install it onto your new Mac-Mini...but if your wallet is as "sore" as you say...then your wallet is going to feel more sore...since installing Windows Only software on a Macintosh computer does have some expenses associated with it. Give these threads a read:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

I might also mention...that this Windows software you have installed on your Windows laptop (and would also like to install on your Mac-Mini) may also need to be capable (or allowable) to be installed on multiple computers. Otherwise you would be doing something against the software developers end user license agreement.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

OK - thanks for that. The software can be installed on either and you are allowed to install it on two systems at once (I checked this) but I take the point about a windows installation of the files not working on a Mac.

I think it's going to be easiest if I just get a USB DVD drive to install software. It was just that Apple's Superdrive seems pretty costly and there seems to be conflicting information on what third-party hardware would work instead.

*complete thread morph*

Anyone know what USB cd/dvd drives other than Apple's Superdrive will work with a Mac Mini?

Thanks again

OP
B
Reaction score
it's ok - I answered my own question. The Amazon Basics external usb dvd drive will apparently do the trick and is £23.94. I can cope with that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The software can be installed on either and you are allowed to install it on two systems at once (I checked this) but I take the point about a windows installation of the files not working on a Mac.

I think it's going to be easiest if I just get a USB DVD drive to install software.

Great to hear that the software is installable on both Windows and Macintosh computers!:)

I also forgot that the newer Mac-Mini's no longer have a built-in CD/DVD drive...so I guess that's why you wanted to do the ethernet cable idea. This normally wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea...except I'm pretty darn sure you can't run the Macintosh installer from a Windows computer (your Dell laptop) to a Macintosh computer via ethernet cable.

I agree...getting a USB DVD drive for your Mac-Mini is the best way to go!:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

But you might be able to use an Ethernet cable to transfer the Mac install files from the PC DVD drive to the Mac. Then you could run the install files on the Mac. Bit cheaper than buying a DVD drive just for one install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.