System Extension Cannot Be Used

Reaction score
I was changing permissions on the main drive (For accessing files in finder. I went to "get info" and changed the permissions at the bottom to "apply to enclose items") after this was done, I got the following error:

"System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/system/library/extensions/(Every single file in the folder).kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Now, the problem is that it is popping up individually for each and every kernel extension in the folder, one by one. so, I held down enter until they were all done, and now it's doing it again... So... what do I do? I don't want to destroy anything or ruin this mac.

It's VERY important that this be resolved, as this is a very important computer for the company I work at.

Your help would be great. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It may help...what OS version are you running?

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was changing permissions on the main drive (For accessing files in finder. I went to "get info" and changed the permissions at the bottom to "apply to enclose items") after this was done, I got the following error:
Which files and why? It sounds like you've changed the permissions of files outside of your user directory which really shouldn't be done.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm working on Snow Leopard, I believe.
I'm working with a ton of old files from other systems and backups of backups of backups from other computers and hard drives. the permissions were all screwy and half the time, it would require passwords to open/move/ or delete anything. So, instead of having to type in the password 500 times per day, which I was doing originally, I was told to just have permissions apply to the whole thing...

So, I guess I messed up there....

I'm trying to boot in safe mode, just so I don't screw anything up any farther, but it's taking forever (2+ hours)... Any thoughts?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What directory did you apply the permissions to and what permissions did you set?

OP
J
Reaction score
I applied it to the main drive for the computer. I set it so that "everyone" has access to read and write.
It's odd to me that I wouldn't already have access, given the fact that I am on the admin account, but still, I had to put my password in a billion times when working with files.

Sigh... and now there's a new problem, though it's likely related. The mac won't boot up now. I have tried holding shift, CMD+CTR+P+R, CMD+R, option, etc... I've tried everything I know how to do to get it to boot differently, but it still just comes up with the gray apple and spins for hours... 3+ hours... I even have the OS disc in there, but it's not letting me open it to recovery mode... any ideas? I'm okay with re-installing OS, but how do I do that?

(BTW, since I never said before, it's a G5 PowerMac, running OSX Snow Leopard.)

Thanks again! :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I applied it to the main drive for the computer. I set it so that "everyone" has access to read and write.
I can't really put this lightly so please excuse the bluntness - that was a terrible mistake. Users should only deal with permissions inside of their own user directory. By setting the permissions of the entire computer to r/w for everyone, you effectively undermine the whole set of securities that come with Unix permissions.

It's odd to me that I wouldn't already have access, given the fact that I am on the admin account, but still, I had to put my password in a billion times when working with files.
There is a difference here between admin and root (who has access to the entire filesystem). Admin accounts only have partial access to directories outside of their user directory including /Applications and wherever System Preferences stores system wide settings (this is a mystery to me but I imagine that it's in /Library somewhere). Other than that, an admin account is, relatively speaking, quite limited when taking into account all that it doesn't have access to without elevated privileges. This is done on purpose - it gives you enough to administer a computer but restricts you enough so that you don't do permanent damage to your install.

Repairing this could be tricky and may test your patience. Since the machine is already fairly crippled, there may not be much harm in trying to reset the permissions. Boot into safe mode and reset the permissions (system = r/w, wheel = ro, everyone = ro).

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, I now understand my mistake. Thank you for not sugar-coating it. I now know. :)

Okay, so going forward... I tried inserting the OS install disk and holding down C while re-booting... and it's still just spinning... Any thoughts?

EDIT:
Okay, well it booted to the install, and I'm currently repairing permissions. Hopefully that will work. Thanks so much for your help, I'll keep you posted!

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay! I got the disk utility to work, and I repaired permissions. The Mac booted up just fine and it's all working... Except for one thing...

Now the External Hard Drives I'm using all have lock symbols on them. I don't have permission to access them, it says.

I tried opening "get info" and the permissions say "Custom" for system, everyone, AND my account. It won't let me change these permissions... Do I need to repair permissions on these too?

It is IMPERATIVE that these drives no get deleted. They are our backups and are worth lots of money to the company... Thoughts? :)

Thanks again for your help and patience with my shortcomings...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to get back to you on this one since I don't have an external and I haven't got the slightest clue what permissions OS X mounts an external with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.