Seeking Ideas- 3rd Party E Mail Which Will Work With Mac Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi!
Please pardon me if this is answered elsewhere here. I've searched, but only managed to get myself confused. (Not unusual!)

My ISP (AT&T) has instantly changed my monthly rate form $26 to $56. Yikes! That's on top of the increases they've been adding all along. It is time to switch providers. The local cable TV provider & some others are far less expensive. All of our E-Mail adresses are with AT&T, so I will have to send change-of-address notes to everyone we deal with.

I'm thinking of using one of the stand-alone e-mail companies, like gmail, ymail, hot mail or another so I can keep the e-mail addresses as we change IPS companies or move away. I'm sorry I don't know the proper term for these providers.

Here's the question:
My wife & I both are very happy using Mac OS X's e-mail program. We would like to stick with that, but I've read horror stories about using a 3rd party e-mail with Mac's Mail.
Ideally, we would be able to do as we do now- Simply open "Mail" and click "Get Mail" No fuss, mo muss.

Which of these e-mail providers plays best with OS X's mail program? And, hopefully one that does not plaster your messages with advertisements- especially when sending to others. (I get a lot of mail from people using free programs, along with advertisements galore.)

Am I asking for a miracle that does not exist, or is this possible? I sure appreciate your advice!
Paul
PS: I am using OS X 10.6.8 and the Mail program is version 4.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which of these e-mail providers plays best with OS X's mail program?

A no-brainer. (no pun intended) Use GMail as it's the easiest of the ones you mentioned to setup with Mac Mail. Stay away from Hot Mail and AOL.

You can go to the GMail home web page and read through their instructions for setting it up with Mac Mail. It's straight forward and very easy to get going. If you have other devices (iPad, iPhone, Smart Phone, etc) you can even use their free IMAP protocol rather than PoP. If not, PoP will suffice.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You very much, Chscag!

When you said "No Brainer"- That settled it.

I did go to gmail to read the set up. Even I can understand it, so that's a good sign.
Thanks Again,
Paul

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Gmail is a great option, and I use it as my primary e-mail account even though I have my own domain which would never change..their spam filtering and other services is very nice.

I use it both through Mac Mail and the website and highly recommend it..

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Raz0rEdge!
Looks like Gmail wins hands down.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.