It's finally arrived

Reaction score
Finally, after waiting 8 weeks my 27" iMac (with upgraded memory/processor/video card) arrived. Looks fantastic, now need to get used to it !

Switch was somewhat spoiled by the seemingy faulty airport extreme I bought at the same time, which is not working on the lower 2.4ghz channel resulting in my older periferal wi-fi items (laptop, ipod touch, xbox, internet radio, Samsung TV) not "seeing" an available network. The imac, apple TV and iPad can see the faster 5ghz channel so they are ok. Don't think I've done anything silly, the apple support people coildn't help, so it's back to the shop today to try another one .....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't own a newer Airport Extreme but I wonder if you changed a setting in the routers config that did something with the 2.4ghz channel. Will get the manual and check.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, I've had a "look" to see if I'd done something like like that, couldn't find a tick box or option that might be responsible - btw I've not given a separate name/ssid to the 5ghz channel (you can do this in the options) as I thought the dual channel worked intelligently within a single ssid and connected via the appropriate protocol (a,n,g,b) automatically, and I don't want to manually choose the channel for each device. If you find anything I'd be delighted, thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I checked the manual and do not see that as an option. I was hoping someone who owns one would chime in. Maybe it's defective.

OP
E
Reaction score
OK - panic over - final effort results in success! It was the 2.4ghz channel - default settings for the router are for auto channel selection (you know 1-13); this setting is supposed to choose the optimal chanel, it chose ch 1. Changed to manual and set to ch 10, all good. No other devices (cordless phones etc etc) anywhere near go figure!!

Thanks for looking Dennis :)

Right, I'm an iPad pro but am now off to learn how to drive Mac !! Is it just me, I prefer iOS to OSX so far??

PS - not sure what I prefer - mouse or trackpad (have both) - first impression is mouse for normal stuff trackpad for photo/ video manipulation......

C

chas_m

Check out Mac 101 (or Switch 101 if you're coming from a Windows background) to help with common questions, have a read of the essay in my signature and download one of the free e-books from Apple on your new Mac from the iBookstore (yes, to read on your iPad!) and you'll be well on your way in no time.

OP
E
Reaction score
Have already done so Chas, all good stuff thanks for the detailed advice in your excellent write up! I already do the ebook thing - are there different ones available just for mac d/l? I'd only read them on the pad not the mac.

C

chas_m

Apple doesn't presently offer a program for reading e-books on the Mac, but should one ever want to do so the Kindle App from Amazon (among other choices) is a good option.

Unlike Apple's own iPad books in the iBookstore, there isn't a free book that covers the iMac, but there are free samples of any of the paid ones to help you decide if they are worth it. There's also the good ol' public library.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, there's a few things I can't do due to apps not being the same on the 2 platforms, (like the free radio player app tune in radio on the pad not being on the mac app platform) guess I'll learn and adapt - Im an experienced and fast learner though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.