White MacBook Mini DVI plug issues

Reaction score
My college-age daughter has a white MacBook (13-inch Late 2008). She wanted a larger screen for her graphic design work. I got a Mini-DVI plug with a HDMI cable adapter, and plugged the other end into the HDMI port in the 24" LG monitor that I purchased. The screen on her MacBook just flashes solid colors on and off rapidly and the monitor says "No Signal" and I am unable to set up the LG monitor in the "Monitors" and "Detect Displays" in System Preferences. I tried this first at home with the same monitor and my wife's almost identical white MacBook (13-inch Early 2008) and everything worked great! Does my daughter's MacBook have a defective Mini-DVI port, or is there some other issue? Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
Click on the Apple icon, then click on the "about this Mac", click on more info, then scroll down till you find
"graphics/displays". Whats the "chipset model" (graphics card) and amount of VRAM? Just trying to see what you have here.

OP
K
Reaction score
Good suggestion! That MacBook is in another town, I'll have to call her and try to get that info, and compare that to the specs on the MacBook the monitor does work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
Right off hand the only other helpful hints I can pass on is make sure the latest drivers are loaded (everything updated) and to make sure the laptop is plugged in.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.