Best Macbook for light video editing?

Reaction score
I find myself in a position where I'm going to be needing a Macbook pro to do some light video editing for some company training videos to both internal and external (customers) audiences. Would a 13 inch macbook be sufficient for this task with something like Final Cut pro or should I be looking at the 15 inch version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
If you are only going to be doing very lightweight video editing the 13 inch macbook (pro?) should suffice although if you are not looking at the pros I would recommend them highly. As long as you stay away from VFX and are OK with waiting for it to render occasionally then you should be fine. But, if you want any serious editing capabilities I would probably not go with a laptop (apple at least) and either go with the Mac Pros if you need to use OSX or just build a machine, although from what you said you won't be digging too deep into video editing and VFX.

Anyways, to sum it up, you should be OK with a macbook but I recommend a MBP and you may have some occasional lag.

Good luck,
ljbaumer

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. It needs to be a laptop so I can take it from home to the work site, etc. I'm leaning toward the 15inch because of the better video card. Apple has the "refurb" 15 incher retina for something like $1800, which looks like a bargain compared the "brand new" one. I might go that route, time allowing. I'll probably use my existing home pc (4.5 intel quad core, Nvidia 670) as a hackinstosh, I've looked into that before and know it can be done. So I guess if some weird reason I needed to do something oddly demanding, I can move it over to the desktop and render there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 13inch Retina
Thanks so much for the reply. It needs to be a laptop so I can take it from home to the work site, etc. I'm leaning toward the 15inch because of the better video card. Apple has the "refurb" 15 incher retina for something like $1800, which looks like a bargain compared the "brand new" one. I might go that route, time allowing. I'll probably use my existing home pc (4.5 intel quad core, Nvidia 670) as a hackinstosh, I've looked into that before and know it can be done. So I guess if some weird reason I needed to do something oddly demanding, I can move it over to the desktop and render there.

Sounds like a plan! Shoot me a message if you need any further assistance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.