Where can I find a G4 ZIF procesor for a Beige G3

Reaction score
Great "old-timer/old-machine" info Mac SK. Sometimes that info is very hard to come across/locate when you really need it!:)

- Nick

Thanks:D...Thank you very much. It could be rough buying a CPU off Ebay and not knowing how to set the jumpers.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yeah that said, I came across a quicksilver g4 and was wondering what are the compatible processor list to that machine... (above 800Mhz and dual please)

Thanks again!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There are a number of Quicksilvers, including an educational model, that run from 733MHz up to and including a 1GHz Dual processor model. Download a little application called Mactracker that list the full specs of all Macs made.

http://mactracker.ca

OP
V
Reaction score
Beige G3

Hello again, I´ve came across a mdd g4 instead.. do I have to use the same app to know if I can upgrade the processor?

Tks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is not much in the upgrade department anymore for the MDD. The MDD especially the later ones are about as fast as you will see with a G4. There were a couple of After Market CPU upgrades for the MDD but they have long been discontinued. What are the specs on the MDD?

OP
V
Reaction score
It´s a single G4 1Ghz with an AGP Nvidia mx4 64 MB... It has a sticker on it´s back where you can read:

EMC#1914
Serial: XB31803RN1W
Motherboard: 630-4641

Someone told me this model won´t work with dual processor configs.

" It confirmed that your particular computer is a single processor model and not a dual model processor. As such, it can only take a 1gh single processor. The 1.25 and 1.42 were dual processor offered at the same time, but our understanding is that your logic board will not be able to read them. The processor ordered is much much older (for models made in 1999 and 2000 not 2003 as your computer is). The only processor we have and know will work in it is 661-2784. "

Please tell me they are wrong!!!

Tks

OP
V
Reaction score
Someone at the apple support site told me it should work... Here are some more info on the machine:

Model no: M8570
EMC No: 1914
Model number: PowerMac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,6
Bus Speed: 133Mhz
ROM version:4.6.0f1
etc...
I found out this is the FW 800 model (as it has a FireWire 800 door)
It´s the fourth model from the left to the right on this apple site:
Power Mac G4: How to Differentiate Between Models, Part 2

Thanks for the support.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello again, I´ve came across a mdd g4 instead.. do I have to use the same app to know if I can upgrade the processor?

Tks

Honestly...what you really should do is...identify the newest & fastest Macintosh computer you can buy (within your budget)...and buy it!:)

Upgrading Macintosh computers is not like upgrading Windows computers:

- There is MUCH less compatibility between Macintosh computer models
- the parts are far less available
- and if the parts are available...they are expensive.

I tried to convey this concept at the beginning of this thread when you were interested in a cpu upgrade for an extremely old "Beige G3 Tower"...now you're looking at upgrading a Powermac G4 MDD.

I've been doing this "Macintosh Thing" for about 27 years...and I currently own lots & lots & lots of Macintosh computers!:) Ranging from a Mac 512...up to a 2011 17" MacBook Pro (and lots of "goodies" in-between)!:)

BELIEVE me...I'm not just "blowing smoke" when I say what I said above. It does not pay to buy an old Macintosh computer...and then try to upgrade it! Been there...done that!;)

OP
V
Reaction score
I guess that if my questioning is inconveniencing you perhaps I should look elsewhere... I remember saying money was no object, and that this is a hobby of mine. I´m not looking for the fastest macintosh available, but to make my own macs as fast as they can, but then again this is not for the faint of heart... :Cool:

Thanks anyway

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, he was just trying to help. Not inconveniencing at all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess that if my questioning is inconveniencing you perhaps I should look elsewhere... I remember saying money was no object, and that this is a hobby of mine. I´m not looking for the fastest macintosh available, but to make my own macs as fast as they can, but then again this is not for the faint of heart... :Cool:

Thanks anyway

I think that my confusion is...your original project was the old Beige G3...now it's a Powermac G4 MDD. So it seems that there isn't a lot of focus.;)

Like I keep saying. The Macintosh World of computers really isn't setup to upgrade old computers...beyond adding ram and hard drives...and maybe video cards with some models that have/had SCSI or PCI slots.

If you want to replace broken parts on old non-working computers to get them working again...like:

- hard drives
- optical drives
- floppy drives,
- video cards
- adding ram
- more storage capacity

...all of this can be done.:) But an area where it's much less feasible (due to cost, compatibility, or availability) are cpu upgrades.

I totally understand your enthusiasm for what you're doing...I'm just trying to point out the areas that are reasonable to do...and one area (cpu upgrades) which is much less feasible.

A lot of what you want to do can be done with Windows computers...much much more easily. Apple simply changes things too much from generation to generation...which makes parts compatibility between models very difficult.

- Nick

p.s. After almost 20,000 posts on Mac-Forums...you're questions are hardly inconveniencing me!;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I am the same way he is and would still be that way but when my heath got bad I sort of backed away from all of it at least for now. I enjoy messing with old Macs and doing some upgrades. It's just a hobby and fun for me. A new machine is no challenge! :D Grin

Older Macs are a lot of Challenge also Compared to old PC's!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I am the same way he is and would still be that way but when my heath got bad I sort of backed away from all of it at least for now. I enjoy messing with old Macs and doing some upgrades. It's just a hobby and fun for me. A new machine is no challenge! :D Grin

I understand.:) It's just that the cpu area of upgrading old Mac's is the most difficult area...maybe even impossible in some cases.

The more rewarding area for me is taking an old Mac computer (that is not working)...and getting it working again!:) Whether the cpu is a 733mhz, 800mhz, or 933mhz...is really not that important.

If I want/need a faster computer...I'll just use a newer model that I have.

And as you know...compatibility of cpu hardware (for those Mac computers that have removable or upgradeable cpu hardware)...is very very limited. And the cpu upgrade cards that were sold for the various Powermac G3's & G4's are as rare as hen's teeth!;)

The better way to approach this sort of project is...find the cpu upgrade card FIRST (since there are so few of them)...THEN find a used computer that the cpu upgrade card works with.

This is the best way to approach this project...rather than having the computer already...and trying to find the cpu upgrade.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree and I did that all the time. I only upgraded a Digital Audio as back then 1.8Dual G4's were easy to get. Even Dual 2.0Ghz G4's!!! Giga Design, Sonnet. ATI Radeon 9800 and many things. After the Quicksilver it was very hard to get any CPU upgrades like that. So I know what you are saying.

I had to move out of my place with family for now and had my Digital Audio 1.8Ghz with 1.5GB RAM brought over. Still works and is useable even on You Tube as long as you don't try full HD 1080p! :D hahahahah

OP
V
Reaction score
dtravis7, you think like me! It´s a challenge!!! I´m actually working on a PM 9500, a PM 8100, the Beige G3 and the "new" MDD G4. And thanks pigoo3 for the help, but this things I´m doing aren´t supposed to do much sense... ;D Your knowledge is very welcome!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7, you think like me! It´s a challenge!!! I´m actually working on a PM 9500, a PM 8100, the Beige G3 and the "new" MDD G4. And thanks pigoo3 for the help, but this things I´m doing aren´t supposed to do much sense... ;D Your knowledge is very welcome!!!

Good luck. Having a range of computers like you mentioned...does give you more flexibility if & when the upgrades you desire do happen to become available (e-Bay or elsewhere).

Also...I happen to own at least one of everyone of the computers you mentioned (except for the MDD). I used to have one of those...but I sold it. But if I come across another one at the right price...I will snap it up.:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Beige G3

Hi, the PowerMac G4 Xserve 1.33 GHz Dual CPU arrived and works fine on my MDD G4 FW800 G4!!! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.