Cloning Hard Drive to new SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Hello all,

I just ordered a new SSD and data doubler today. I figured there was a step by step sticky or something for this process somewhere, I have searched and can't seem to find one. I am assuming that using Carbon Copy Cloner(or something similar) is the best route to go about this.

2011 MBP 15"
2.0 GHZ i7
8 gigs RAM
OSX 10.8.2
500 gig HD

New Drive Samsung 840 Series SSD

I also have an external Hard Drive that I back up to, if that can be used anyway.
If I have left out some information, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Flu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those in the know (specifically Other World Computing) recommend not cloning a spindle drive to a SSD. They recommend a fresh install instead. However, if you wish to proceed with doing a clone, then Carbon Copy Cloner will work best because it also clones the recovery partition whereas SuperDuper does not.

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.. Thanks for the reply. I have no problem doing a clean install, I just thought that the cloning process was easier since I wouldn't have to re install everything. I see where it could cause issues going from a HDD to SSD.
I am running Mountain Lion now. When I upgraded there to it was an option to save it to flash drive, so I did that. Would you suggest using that?

Also.. do you think I should just switch the drives and do the re-install of mountain lion, and then add the second?

I have done this kind of thing many times on Windows machines and only on Desktops. this is my first go at this.

Thanks
Flu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am running Mountain Lion now. When I upgraded there to it was an option to save it to flash drive, so I did that. Would you suggest using that?

Smart move, I did the same thing when I upgraded. As far as using it, sure. It's a lot faster than waiting on the Apple server and puts you in control.

Also.. do you think I should just switch the drives and do the re-install of mountain lion, and then add the second?

That will work. As a matter of fact, most folks who use the Data Doubler do it that way. Keep in mind that your spindle hard drive in its normal position is protected by the sudden motion detector that's built in. If you move it to the optical position, it will no longer be protected.

However, if you install the SSD to the optical position, you lose speed advantage because of the slower bus speed. It'll still be fast, but not as fast as it will be in the normal HDD SATA position. So, it's a decision you have to make....

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Smart move, I did the same thing when I upgraded. As far as using it, sure. It's a lot faster than waiting on the Apple server and puts you in control.

That will work. As a matter of fact, most folks who use the Data Doubler do it that way. Keep in mind that your spindle hard drive in its normal position is protected by the sudden motion detector that's built in. If you move it to the optical position, it will no longer be protected.

However, if you install the SSD to the optical position, you lose speed advantage because of the slower bus speed. It'll still be fast, but not as fast as it will be in the normal HDD SATA position. So, it's a decision you have to make....

Thanks for the info.

I am going to use the SSD as the main drive and put the HDD in the optical position. The speed is the reason I got it.
Hopefully all goes smooth, but I know this place is as good as any for information if not..

Thanks again

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New SSD came today.. My goodness, fresh install from the thumb drive was about the easiest thing I have ever done. Went fast too...

Data Doubler will some tomorrow and the process will be complete.

Oh yea.... why the **** did I wait this long to get an SSD????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That's easy ~ coz you thought they were too expensive. OS X on a thumb drive is miles faster than the old DVD way.

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's easy ~ coz you thought they were too expensive. OS X on a thumb drive is miles faster than the old DVD way.

oh yea...that's it

OP
fluhartz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy ****.. It took literary like 15 minutes to install the data doubler, I even took my time...
I installed and booted the Mac... recognized disk, went to disk utility.. erase and format took about 2 or 3 minutes(saved everything off of the drive to external basically) and done... totally unreal how easy it was...

I am a happy dude...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.