Pasted diagrams and charts won't print in Word 2008

Reaction score
When I create diagrams in powerpoint and cut and paste them as PDFs in Word 2008, I can see them on the screen and in print preview. When I go to print them and preview them in that area, the text shows but the picture disappears and when I press print there is text but no picture. I had this problem once before but have forgotton how it can be solved. Can anyone help please? :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm no longer using Office 2008 (using Office 2011) but I believe the directions are the same for printing drawing objects and graphics.

Open Office Preferences, click on the Print option. Make sure a check is in the box that says under "Include with Document" "Drawing Objects". You may have to open Word and click on Preferences from there to access all options as the PP options are separate.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back to me on this.
I have looked into Word preferences and can only find two boxes that look relevant. The first is under Print and the box says 'Print background colours and images' and the second is under View anad says 'Background colours and images in print layout view'.
I have checked both but no change. Have I got it wrong or am I looking in the wrong place?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I said above, I'm no longer using Office 2008 and it's been awhile since I upgraded to 2011. It looks like the Office 2008 and 2011 preferences are worded differently but what you chose should work to print graphics or drawings.

Try cutting and pasting your Powerpoint diagrams as graphics rather than as PDF files. Or, you may be able to insert them as PDF files from the insert menu of Word but select "insert a file" instead of cutting and pasting.

See if either of those suggestions will work for you. I have sets of Powerpoint presentations which contain numerous diagrams and graphics. I use the Insert menu from Word and import them as a file. The same can be done from Excel to Word.

And, you really should update you copy of Office to 2011 which is much easier to work with than 2008 and also brings back the macro capability.

OP
T
Reaction score
Really appreciate your help with this chscag. I think I have managed to activate the function that prints the pictures along with the text.
All going well now. Here's hoping.
I'll think more about getting the upgrade

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.