Windows iTunes home sharing to ATV

N

njbaker7

I constantly have to reset iTunes or Home Sharing from my PC to get my ATV to streaming movies from my Windows PC. I have done a full restore on my router, reset my firewall settings on my PC, reset all 3 ATV’s, and ensured that my wifi is not overlapping with other wifi’s (I live in an apartment). I never had to do this before.

After resetting iTunes I can stream a movie fine. When that movie end sor I want to switch movies or start a new movie, I have to reset iTunes again. I can do YouTube and Netflix or watch purchased content without an issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You say you never had to do this before..... What changed?
Software, hardware, physical locations?

How is everything connected?

OP
N

njbaker7

My wife said it started happen when I implemented port forwarding on my router for online gaming to go to a static IP. That static IP was my laptop. At the time my laptop was running DHCP and did not have a static IP and there was no MAC reservation on the router. So I gave my laptop a static IP. Since then I have removed port forwarding, and did a factory restore on the router.
I had one ATV on wired, now wireless, and the other two on WIFI. My laptop is also wireless. I also added a second hard drive to my laptop, and upgraded my primary. I did move my iTunes library to that new secondary hard drive. But I have now moved my iTunes library back to the primary hard drive and kept my home movies on the secondary hard drive. I was also having issues with MacAfee randomly turning of the firewall. So I uninstalled MacAfee and went to Microsoft security essentials. I also reset all my Windows firewall settings to default. I am allowing iTunes on the private network, which is the profile for my wireless home network on the laptop.
I can airplay from my laptop to any ATV just fine, but when I try to access my library from any ATV, nothing will load unless I reset iTunes on my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It definitely sounds like a network config issue. Most likely on the laptop from what you've described.

Which version of Windows and iTunes are you running? Which version of iOS on the ATVs?

I'd suggest hitting the mcafee support pages to get the mcafee removal tool. You run it as administrator and it gets rid of components that their own uninstaller leaves behind.

Next go to filehippo.com and pickup ccleaner. Let it scan and fix any registry and cache issues.

Now connect your laptop by Ethernet cable to the router and try again. If working, try wirelessly and see if that continues to work. If not working temporally turn off your windows firewall and repeat on then off cable.

OP
N

njbaker7

It seems that the windows firewall was blocking the connection. I have added the all of the ATV TCP and UDP port firewall rules to the inbound connections. Everything seems to be working out great with everything on wireless. Thank you for all of the help. Two days and going strong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.