Cloning External HD to Internal HD

Reaction score
I have an old 2006 iMac. I installed Lion and the performance got really bad so I am trying to go back to Snow Leopard.

I installed Snow Leopard on a new external HD, booted from it and set it up with all my applications and files just exactly as I want it. It runs a little slow but is still way better than the internal on Lion.

I then erased my Internal HD.

Now here's my problem - I have tried Disk Utility, Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner to clone from the external to the Internal HD. On each of these the screen just freezes after about 30 mins of the clone and all I can do is power off and restart the computer. The clone doesnt work.

I dont think it can be a hardware issue because the external is new and the internal was working ok before (just really slow).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be wrong about your internal hard drive's condition; it is after all a 2006 iMac which is now 7 years old. Boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility verify and repair on the drive. In any event, if you have the capability, I recommend removing that old internal hard drive and replacing it with the new one. Not an easy task to do on an iMac which is why I say if you have the capability.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I managed to resolve my issue by simply restarting the mac, relaunching CCC and finishing the clone.

Im not a heavy user of my mac so the internal is probably ok for now. I would like to get a new HD but as you say this is not an easy task.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.