Secure Password Managers for OS X

Reaction score
So many websites now require passwords and user names to log in and use that remembering passwords is a nightmare, yet at the same time using the same passwords or similar variations exposes all our online activity and personal data to people wishing to access our information.

I am looking for a secure Password manager that can store passwords instead of me having them written on pieces of paper! My biggest fear however is how easy are Password managers to be accessed by someone other than myself (assuming I memorise the one password and no one else knows it)? It just seems like using a password manager is a great time saver but we risk putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak so that anyone who can crack the Password managers access code will gain all our passwords/bank details stored and 'protected' b the manager!!

Therefore can anyone recommend a super secure Password Manager with 'military grade' encryption for the OS X system (I currently run 10.8.2) that also works with an ipad?

OP
C
Reaction score
Password Manager for OS X

So many websites now require passwords and user names to log in and use that remembering passwords is a nightmare, yet at the same time using the same passwords or similar variations exposes all our online activity and personal data to people wishing to access our information.

I am looking for a secure Password manager that can store passwords instead of me having them written on pieces of paper! My biggest fear however is how easy are Password managers to be accessed by someone other than myself (assuming I memorise the one password and no one else knows it)? It just seems like using a password manager is a great time saver but we risk putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak so that anyone who can crack the Password managers access code will gain all our passwords/bank details stored and 'protected' b the manager!!

Therefore can anyone recommend a super secure Password Manager with 'military grade' encryption for the OS X system (I currently run 10.8.2)? Oh and ideally it is also able to be used on an ipad although I appreciate this may not be possible.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please do not crosspost.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The most recommended is 1Password. They've started with OS X and have been around much longer than most of the others out there now.

They have an app for iOS so you can carry your passwords with you.
They've also brought their software to Windows and have an Android app (pretty cheesy but currently free and does allow you to see your passwords) now also.

For those coming from Windows and already using Roboform there, Roboform finally introduced an OS X version a couple of years ago. Have heard mixed reviews about it - primarily not being as capable in OS X as the Windows version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For those coming from Windows and already using Roboform there, Roboform finally introduced an OS X version a couple of years ago. Have heard mixed reviews about it - primarily not being as capable in OS X as the Windows version.

I may be mistaken but the last time I inquired into Roboform for the Mac (OS X) it's by subscription. In other words, you buy a license for one year and renew each year. Other than that, it's a decent password manager. And by the way, all passwords stored in the Windows version of Roboform can be imported to 1Password for the Mac. A very nice feature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.