My iPad 2 might be having mechanical issues

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with my iPad 2 (16gb wifi), not even after I jailbroke it about 6 months ago. I used it sunday and it was operating just fine. Then I put it in my backpack, drove back down to school, took it out monday and it will not turn on.

I have called apple care, we did the home+power button trick, plugged it into the wall, plugged it into the computer, tried another USB port while holding the home button, and nothing is working. The apple guy said it could have a mechanical problem and can be replaced, but I do not have the $250 because it is out of warranty.

Is there anything that I haven't tried? and does anyone know what kind of mechanical issue it might be? I have replaced parts in my iphone before so I am pretty good at figuring out how to replace stuff.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the power button feel like it's depressing? If the iPad does die due to depleted battery, plugging it into the wall or a computer usually starts it right back up, the fact that you are not seeing that happen might indicate something beyond just a mechanical problem..

OP
I
Reaction score
Does the power button feel like it's depressing? If the iPad does die due to depleted battery, plugging it into the wall or a computer usually starts it right back up, the fact that you are not seeing that happen might indicate something beyond just a mechanical problem..

Yes, all the buttons work fine and I charged it up until I put it into my backpack, so it should have had 100% battery. I don't even know where to start with replacing an internal part of the iPad.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can see the iPad 2 WiFi and iPad 2 3G teardowns to get an idea of the innards..

As to isolating it to a specific problem, that's not trivial and from the teardowns you can see that you can only really replace entire logic boards or mechanical things..

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks, that is a great resource. I posted on ifixit too, i haven't really been able to find my exact problem in any search yet. Hopefully they might have come across something like this. Thanks for the help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my experience with my iPad 2, my wife's iPad 3 and my iPhone. If the device is on, plugging it into any charging source always gets you the noise (if not muted) and the screen waking up to the battery icon. If the device is completely dead for someone reason, plugging it in wakes it up after about 30 seconds with just the battery icon..

The fact that yours is doing neither seems to indicate something is, potentially, seriously messed up..

OP
I
Reaction score
Yeah, which is puzzling because I haven't thrown it at a wall or out of a moving vehicle. I take extremely great care of every device I own. I moved it from point A to point B in a padded backpack along with my laptop inside of a warm vehicle and it is suddenly completely dead. This is a huge bummer.

C

chas_m

A few possibilities:

1. Perhaps it got turned on somehow while it was in the backpack and overheated. This seems a likely possibility.

2. Perhaps just the LED backlighting is dead. Still a huge problem, but it would mean that the unit is actually "alive" just unable to show the display. Hooking it up to a TV or projector might answer that question.

Naturally you should at least have the Apple people tell you what the problem is, even if you can't afford to replace it right away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.