iTunes Library File Cannot Be Saved, Can You Help Me to Problem Solve?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a problem with iTunes that I need to fix immediately! (I use iTunes for work)

I was importing files into iTunes tonight, and received the following message:

'The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. The required file cannot be found'.

In my iTunes folder, I see the following files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

I'm still able to play songs from my collection. This error message keeps popping up though!

Would anyone kindly be able to help me to solve this problem?

I'm using iTunes 11.01, and OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This could be a permissions issue. As a first step I would go to disk utility and verify/repair your permissions, and then report back if that does not fix this.

Do you have iTunes backed up by the way>?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! I verified and repaired permissions, but I am still getting the same error message.

I have my iTunes library file backed up.

My iTunes library is stored on an external drive, I backed this up several weeks ago, I'll back it up again tonight.

Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?

The files in iTunes are still playing fine.

Thanks again, would love to solve this asap!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're 2 separate accounts have been merged into your original account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error you're receiving seems to say that it can't find your iTunes library file and therefore can not save it. Since your iTunes library file is located on an external hard drive, the drive must be attached and mounted. If it is already attached and mounted and you're still receiving that error, it might mean the path to your library has changed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

My external hard drive with my iTunes library is plugged into my Mac, and mounted.

I checked the iTunes media folder location, and it is correct. (pointing to the itunes folder on the external drive)

Inside my iTunes folder on my external drive, I have these files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

Do you have any suggestions on what to do next?

Could you please let me know if my error message is referring to my iTunes Library.xml file, or the iTunes library file?

They are both inside the folder, and the path to this external drive is correct in iTunes.

Thanks in advance - need to solve this asap!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If all your paths are correct and the drive is attached, then there's either corruption with your external hard drive or within iTunes itself. The error plainly states it can't find the library file. Use Disk Utility to verify your external hard drive to make sure there are no disk errors. If the drive was removed while it was writing or reading files, that could cause errors.

OP
S
Reaction score
If all your paths are correct and the drive is attached, then there's either corruption with your external hard drive or within iTunes itself. The error plainly states it can't find the library file. Use Disk Utility to verify your external hard drive to make sure there are no disk errors. If the drive was removed while it was writing or reading files, that could cause errors.

Thanks for your response. The disk may have been accidentally removed.

I opened Disk Utility, Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions are not an option for my external hard drive. I'm able to write and read for this drive.

I did click Verify Disk, everything seems to be ok with the Disk.

For the moment, everything seems to be ok with iTunes now.

I'll let you know if I have further issues. Thank you!

Reaction score
Same problem

Hi! I have the same problem! My iTunes Library is allocated on an external hard drive too! I really don't know what to do. The problem stared yesterday, when I tried to change some permission to another partition from the same external hard drive.

What did you finally do?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.