buy a a1055, m9628ll/a

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to the Apple scene, my wife has been a fan for 10 years. I have a chance to buy a model: a1055, mpn: m9628ll/a, oS x 10.5.1 leopard, ram been upgraded to 768mb, 60 gb hd, 1.33 ghz. For $125 from some one at my work. I was wondering if it is a good product? I am going to use it for school, Should I get an older one instead? I do not know in the long run if I will keep it or hand it to my son. He likes to play games on line (mindcraft, etc). Will it be good for him? is there any upgrades you suggest? Is it good for video etc? Thanks for your input in advance. I am getting pretty excited about getting one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The machine you're referring to is an Apple iBook G4 introduced in late 2004. That would make it at least 9 years old and pretty much obsolete. Since it's a PowerPC model, it can not run the latest software nor can any version of OS X later than Leopard be installed. Also, it's probably not worth $125.00.

If you're looking for a used Apple computer and not willing to pay a lot for it, I would advise you to buy at least an Intel machine; perhaps a MacBook Core 2 Duo made in late 2008 or later. It will certainly cost more than $125.00 but at least you'll have something that you can use for a few years.

C

chas_m

(note: it took quite a little time to determine what model you were talking about: unlike the Windows world, Mac users generally refer to specific models by their plain-english name, ie 14" iBook in your case, along with when it was made if known -- ie, Fall 2004 14" iBook)

At $125 I'd say it was overpriced even if it was in MINT condition with ALL original packaging, disks etc. This is a nearly decade-old computer which was a marvel in its day but now? Seriously?

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but come on -- video, school, games? No way.

To put it another way: an iPad mini with a BT keyboard case would provide you with a FAR superior computer for well under $500. If you need a notebook, I'd suggest looking at Intel Core 2 Duo models from 2008 and later.

Its possible to find something used or refurbished that will meet your needs, but not at the $125 level. Not even for a kid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.