Should I reformat??

Reaction score
Hello,

I was robbed last year and my Macbook was stolen and wiped. However, I had software on it to track it and finally just got it back today. It luckily still works, but only the thief's information is left on it. I don't really want to keep his information since I already got enough naked photos of him from the software... :Grimmace:

Should I reformat it or is there a better way to take his stuff off and start fresh?

Thank you,
lamoy

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ii don't often recommend reformatting Macs since there are usually less drastic measures available. In this case though it seems like a prudent thing to do. It would quickly get rid of that information as well as any garbage ware that might be floating around. if you've got a clean copy of OS X to work from go for it.

The only other thing I can think of would be to delete the user account that he was using. Easily done as long as you have another administrator account to work from. The down side is this only gets rid of his files not any junk that he might have added to the System folder.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It luckily still works, but only the thief's information is left on it. I don't really want to keep his information since I already got enough naked photos of him from the software.

Should I reformat it or is there a better way to take his stuff off and start fresh?

Seems like a "no-brainer" to me...reformat!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ugh, reformat, and go and wash :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.