Awful Battery Life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
So I just picked up a macbook pro yesterday and it is in immaculate condition for its age. The guy I bought it from said that he replaced the battery less than a year ago and it is not an original apple batter. The battery does not last hardly at all. It is at 43 percent right now and has an estimated time of 1 hour left. It is on the 184th charge cycle. And it says that it has 4895 mAh as of now and that it started out with 5600mAh. This thing should not be dying this quickly I don't believe. I have dropped 2% just starting this thread and safari is the only application open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
At the risk of stating the obvious, sometimes you get what you pay for - especially with batteries and cheap knock off replacements.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Yea that's probably what it is. I guess he just chepoed out on the battery but other than that the thing is amazing. No scratches dents or wear marks anywhere. He put a ssd drive and upgraded the ram to 4gigs. He had the original box and cables and install disks. He even had the remote and he gave me a neoprene case and a Magic Mouse with wireless charger.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I guess if the MBP is in good shape, which is far better than it being all dented and broken, use this battery until it really does start to annoy you or just doesn't hold a long enough charge and then get a real Apple battery and you should be good to go..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea that's probably what it is. I guess he just chepoed out on the battery but other than that the thing is amazing. No scratches dents or wear marks anywhere. He put a ssd drive and upgraded the ram to 4gigs. He had the original box and cables and install disks. He even had the remote and he gave me a neoprene case and a Magic Mouse with wireless charger.

Sounds like this computer is in very good shape...including the fact that the previous owner retained the original box & install disks.:)

At this point this computer with the battery it has (under the computing conditions you described...with only Safari open)...will run for approx. 2 hours and 20 minutes when fully charged. Probably not too bad for an older computer...with a replacement battery that may or may not be a quality replacement.

If you want this computer to perform like new...purchase a genuine replacement battery from Apple...and then you will get the full estimated 4-5 hours of battery runtime on a full charge.:)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
I will definitely be purchasing a genuine apple battery when I can't stand this one anymore. But other than that I am extremely happy with this computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.