Help with WD My Passport for MacBook Air

Reaction score
Hi

I recently purchased a WD My Passport to back up my MacBook Air because my iPhoto library was full and slowing down my computer. When I go into the backup and click on the iPhoto library I get the following message: "Caution The iPhoto library is a Time Machine backup, and so cannot be used as the main library. Reopen iPhoto with the Option key held down to choose another library."

I hold down the option key as suggested but it still does not open. Have I lost all of my photos?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

C

chas_m

You can't use the iPhoto Library directly from a Time Machine backup. Just as the error message said.

So what you've done is good (made a backup of your MBA) but hasn't solved the problem in any way.

You'll need a different drive (or partitioning the drive you currently have) in order to make space to RELOCATE the iPhoto library rather than just back it up.

Of course, doing that you'll then need to figure a way to back up the relocated library ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.