Photos and videos on iPad and iMac

Reaction score
I just purchased an iPad. I have read some of the posts on deleting photos on the iPad as opposed to deleting them from the photoStream. I just upgraded my iMac OS. I would like to delete the iPad photos but keep the same photos on my iMac. I would hate to lose the photos so I am not sure how to delete them from the iPad without affecting the iMac. I apologize if this is an elementary question...

C

chas_m

You'll need to be a lot clearer about where these photos are. Generally speaking, deleting photos from photostream deletes them from all devices.

Photos you've taken with the iOS device are also available on Camera Roll, so deleting them from Photostream doesn't really matter except to change the way said photos or videos get to other devices.

On my setup, I generally import pictures I've taken with my camera to my MacBook Pro. I have photostream set up so that ONLY images I *drag* into the photostream folder are shared with my other devices, not added automatically.

On my iDevices, all pictures TAKEN on those devices are added to Photostream automatically. This setup has the practical effect of only manually selected pictures being sent "downriver" from Mac to iOS, but all iOS pictures are automatically sent "upstream" to the Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The pictures I want to delete are on the iPad in Photos. They automatically go to my iMac when I click on PhotoStream (not sure I even have to click on it...). Then they are in a "place" called Web/PhotoStream in iPhoto. The pictures in this Web/PhotoStream are the ones I want to keep. I am running out of storage space on my iPad...

C

chas_m

Thanks for the information, but are the pictures also in Camera Roll or one of the other albums on your iPad or Mac? If so, then they can be safely deleted from photostream.

I have to add, however, that it's VERY unlikely that Photostream is eating up any significant space on your iPad, so your space problem there is likely due to something else such as a lot of apps or videos. Perhaps you are syncing too many photo albums on your iPad? I limit mine to just pictures/events from the last month or so.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi, I must really be a newby... I don't see camera roll anywhere. But after you said that I looked in settings and it is ICloud that is needing space. I have not had time to download any other apps but what the iPad came with so mainly I use it for web searches, email, and taking pictures of my grand daughter and videos of her... That's where the space problem comes in:)

Do photo albums sync by themselves because I sure don't think I am doing it manually...

Am I being a pain? Should I go to a Genius Bar and get help. I went the the support manuals to find an answer to the and was unable to find a detailed enough explanation. It just had how to but not what happens when you do it....

I could try deleting a picture on my iPad that I am not as fond of and waiting to see what happens in iPhoto on my iMac. But I am afraid I'll miss something obvious and be sorry I did.

Thank you for helping. I appreciate your time and patience!

Debbi

C

chas_m

You're definitely not being a pain.

The camera roll is an album in Photos exclusively composed of photos taken by the iPad, NOT from iPhoto or elsehwere.

iCloud needing space probably has to do with you trying to backup the iPad using iCloud. In iTunes on your Mac, switch the backup to "on the computer" and that should clear the iCloud space problem right up.

Photostream photos automatically create "events" in iPhoto that correspond to each month's worth of new photos added to it, so you don't lose them. Photostream will normally store only the 1,000 most recent photos and just deletes them itself after that ...

You will probably get more help from the Genius Bar or in-store classes, but you can also try the free guide to iPad that is downloadable from the iBookstore.

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh my... I am in iTunes which I don't use very often. Where is backup? I searched everywhere... on my iMac. Then I searched the iTunes on the iPod - am I blind or what... :) Since my list is a little longer than just the memory question I think you are right. I don't want to take advantage of your time - I will make a genius bar appointment. But could you get me through this storgae thing before my iPad blows up or something... Thank you. How do I find Backup in iTunes? I feel really very dumb...:(

C

chas_m

Don't feel dumb. Forums have one weakness, and that's that we rely on words and written descriptions rather than visuals for the most part.

When you connect your iPad to iTunes, you will see a "summary" page with information about the device. That's where you set your backup options. My guess is that you currently have yours set to back up to iCloud.

iTunes-iPad-backup.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.