2008 Macbook Pro Soundcard Issues?

Reaction score
Hi there,
I posted this on ifxit too but haven't been getting much help.

My early 2008 macbook pro A1260 2.5 is experiencing some problems. The main problem is that the sound card(I believe its the soundcard as the sound comes from internal speakers and headphone out) behaves very strangely. Sometimes it works fine but around 1/3rd of the time it will just give off static sounding noise, popping and cuts out while listening to any source of audio.

The laptop also will not stay on without the battery present and will not switch on either if he battery is missing. The battery appears to be fine and the magsafe is a 3rd party new one which definitely works. I have another A1260 laptop with a logic board that is 100% working so I am wondering if I should replace this in my current laptop or is it more like to be the left i/o board?

I checked he balancing left/right via preferences and the sound remains the same on both channels. I have made a recording of it here, https://soundcloud.com/colin-mackay/nois... (can hear it clearly after about 2/3 seconds in, the static sound + popping). I am certain it's not blown speakers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.