BOOT CAMP Missing from Start Up options: Different from most issues others find

Reaction score
Here is my situation. I was working on Windows via Boot camp on my Mac, when all of a sudden the internet and program windows that I was working in just automatically started closing of their own accord, and then Windows shut down (I suspect malware to be the culprit). Upon trying to reboot into Windows by holding the "option" key, it no longer offered the Boot camp partition as an option. It only showed my Mac HD. I went into the system preferences of my Mac and changed the default start up disc to "windows on boot camp" but upon reboot it came up with a black screen and the error message "no bootable device. insert install disc."

This has actually happened to me before, starting from the automatic closing of internet windows and the like. But I was able to surf the internet and find an easy solution. Back up windows using Winclone. Delete the partition. Reform it. Then reinstall my image of Windows. HOWEVER, when I try to follow these same steps this time, Winclone hangs up after a couple seconds and says "Errors found. Check log for details."

This is what the log says.

Sun Feb 24 10:26:44 PST 2013
=====backing up boot sector=====

/bin/dd if="/dev/disk0" of="/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/boot.mbr" bs=446 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
446 bytes transferred in 0.008249 secs (54067 bytes/sec)
return value of /bin/dd if="/dev/disk0" of="/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/boot.mbr" bs=446 count=1 is 0

=======creating empty file to overwrite pagefile.sys with=========

/usr/bin/touch /tmp/winclone_empty_file
return value of /usr/bin/touch /tmp/winclone_empty_file is 0

Unmounting /dev/disk0s3
/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk0s3"return value of unmount is 0

=======copying empty file over pagefile.sys=========

"/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfscp" "/dev/disk0s3" /tmp/winclone_empty_file pagefile.sys
return value of "/Library/NTFSProgs/ntfscp" "/dev/disk0s3" /tmp/winclone_empty_file pagefile.sys is 0

current size is 727000023040
partition id is 0xAF
=====Saving NTFS filesystem size==========

/bin/echo "272859394048" > "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/size"
return value of /bin/echo "272859394048" > "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/size" is 0

=====Saving partition id=====

/bin/echo "0xAF" > "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/partitionid"
return value of /bin/echo "0xAF" > "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/partitionid" is 0

partition format is NTFS
Name: Windows NT File System (NTFS)
Unmounting /dev/disk0s3
/usr/sbin/diskutil unmount "/dev/disk0s3"return value of unmount is 256

output is disk0s3 was already not mounted

diskimagetype is compressed
====Cloning NTFS filesystem to compressed dmg=======

hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/Windows" 1>&2
PERCENT:0.000000
hdiutil: create failed - Invalid argument
return value of hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 is 256

hdiutil create -puppetstrings -srcdevice "/dev/disk0s3" "/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Windows Back Up FEB 2013.winclone/Windows" 1>&2 did not complete successfully
cleaning up: Mounting Disk
Volume BOOTCAMP on /dev/disk0s3 mounted
Sun Feb 24 10:26:48 PST 2013

I have no idea how to make heads or tails of all that jargon. I've attempted to clone Windows numerous times and this log looks somewhat different than the original. Initially it mentioned something about how windows hadn't been shut down properly...yada yada yada. (When I noticed all my windows closing I freaked out since I knew what the result would be and hit the power button on my mac to try and stop the process, which apparently was a big mistake.) It listed a proper "start and shutdown" process as the solution, which is hard to do when you can't boot into Windows. I then inserted my Windows install disc and tried to boot from that, which worked and it gave me the option to repair start up, which I did. It still wouldn't let me start up via Boot Camp (it just kept wanting me to reinstall Windows) but that's when the Winclone error log information changed to the one listed above, no longer listing the "improper shutdown" as the problem.

I've also tried imaging my Boot Camp partition using Disk Utility in Mac, but it also comes up with an error message. I don't know if that's related to the same errors that Winclone is finding or if it's because Mac is unable to image Windows.

I can still see Boot camp in Finder so I know it's there and I can see all of my files which makes it really frustrating that I can't access them.

In my research I've read that sometimes a resizing of the partition helps because it realigns the startup drivers or something like that, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that without losing all of my data. I guess I have two problems here really. One, that it no longer recognizes Boot Camp as a bootable option (normally easily resolved) and that Winclone won't create an image of Windows. I'm just wondering if there's a way to still resolve this problem without out using the normal solution of using Winclone, or if there's a way to get around the Winclone error messages so that I can make an image of Windows and then follow the rest of the steps for reinstallation without losing data. If you have any tips or solutions to either of these problems I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds like a Windows update that's gone south.

The first thing I'd try is a repair install of Windows to restore the boot record.

If you're wanting to continue down the Winclone route I'd contact them directly and supply them the log file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.