Trouble making connection to TM backup to restore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
The short version is this. Wife's MBA died an unnatural death involving liquid spill. Her MBA had been making regular TM backups to our time capsule.

Made decision not to repair wife's MBA and instead to give her my MBA expecting to wipe my MBA clean, reinstall operating system and restore wife's TM back up to the machine expecting it would put her right back where she was.

Purchased new MBP Retina for me (Yeah!). Pulled my MBA data settings and apps to my MBP Retina from my old MBA without trouble.

Expected to see option to continue using my old MBA TM backups but did not see that option and so ran a full new TM back up on our Time Capsule. Notice that pre-existing TM backups are listed in finder with name that reflects user and type of computer and assume I must have set that up some how in past - no memory. But the new TM back up appears as "Macintosh.sparsebundle" in finder. No reference to my name or type of computer as with other TM backup sparsebundle files. All are located on TC under "Data" .

Next I turned to task of setting up my old MBA for my wife. Deleted data on disk using disc utilities. Reinstalled operating system. Ran through set up but when I came to the request to restore from a computer or timemachine back up I ran into trouble. The computer is seeing the TC and the "DATA" folder but when I say yes I want to load that back up disc it sits stalled indicating "Connecting" but never connects.

This leaves me in a bad place - can't restore my wife's data which is priceless. I know the TC is working because other computers are connecting fine and making TM backups in the normal manner. But I can't seem to get this newly set up machine to make the necessary connection so that I can then find the correct TM back up from my wife's old MBA and restore. If I look in finder I do see the sparsebundle file with her name on it sitting there.

I went back and reinstalled the OS again on my old MBA but still no joy either on initial set up or running migration assistant.

Can anyone offer any help/suggestions? Any ideas will be much appreciated.

EDIT - I should add that my old MBA is able to see the TC and the folder and sparsebundle files in finder just fine. Problem is it wont connect when running migration assistant.

EDIT 2 - I notice that when I look at my old MBA with Disc Utility I see "251 GB Apple SSD SM25..." at the top and then underneath that another image with "Untitled" as the name. On the other hand - when I look at my new Retina with disc utility to compare I see "Macintosh HD" listed as the name of the second listed item. No clue if I may have messed up when I tried to wipe out the MBA old data before reinstalling the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.