Booting into EFI

Reaction score
How do i boot into EFI(mac version of BIOS) Isorta want to check this out. would it be stupid to do this, can i f up my powerbook if i hit something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
that would be really interesting to see.. it probably is not a good idea though, they don't let you boot into it easily like on a windows box.. but it can't be harmful if you don't change anything.

OP
K
Reaction score
i remember when i got my powerbook somethign was faulty so when i booted it up 15 minutes later it crashed and i had a MS Office disk in it i was starting to install the guy at the store booted into EFI to get it to eject. if someone knows how that would be sick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
You can't boot into EFI on the Intel Macs.

Karpfish24 said:
i remember when i got my powerbook somethign was faulty so when i booted it up 15 minutes later it crashed and i had a MS Office disk in it i was starting to install the guy at the store booted into EFI to get it to eject. if someone knows how that would be sick.
Since you can't have the MacBook Pro yet the apple guy booted into OpenFirmware (no longer on intel macs)

P

pbook24

umm, did i say i had an intel mac? EFI is the same thing as open firmware, how do i boot into that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
pbook24 said:
umm, did i say i had an intel mac? EFI is the same thing as open firmware, how do i boot into that?
Oh sorry I was under the impression that you had an Intel mac. OpenFirmware (not EFI) is Command + Shift + O + F right after you press the power button.

P

pbook24

Benjamindaines said:
Oh sorry I was under the impression that you had an Intel mac. OpenFirmware (not EFI) is Command + Shift + O + F right after you press the power button.

sorry,but are there any possibilites that i mess anything up whe i go into this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
pbook24 said:
sorry,but are there any possibilites that i mess anything up whe i go into this?
I don't know if you can hose your system from there, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can. So if you go in only use commands you know, I only know two; eject-cd (will spit out your CD [what the guy used]) and mac-boot (obviously will boot your computer.)

D

desantim

Can't hose your machine unless you sit and start typing random (correct) commands. We use OF all the time at work to diagnose and troubleshoot. It's basically a command prompt that looks like ?>... So.. Go for it, but there is absolutely nothing to see there. Dare I say a DOS prompt on a winbox is more exciting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.