Trash not working properly

Reaction score
Whenever I try to drag items to the trash, it says "items will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action"

Why won't my trash hold files anymore?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Finder Preferences, Advanced tab, - place a check in the box that says: "Show warning before emptying the Trash"

OP
S
Reaction score
Finder Preferences, Advanced tab, - place a check in the box that says: "Show warning before emptying the Trash"

That doesn't have anything to do with it. The checkmark you're mentioning is so that you can be warned before emptying the trash if you want to.
The problem I'm having is that the files won't go into the trash in the first place. They're immediately deleted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem I'm having is that the files won't go into the trash in the first place. They're immediately deleted.

Make any changes lately to your system or install any "cleaner" software such as MacKeeper or the like?

OP
S
Reaction score
Make any changes lately to your system or install any "cleaner" software such as MacKeeper or the like?

It's a brand new install on a new hard drive. Sometimes it will allow some of the files into the trash and then give the option of immediately deleting the rest. Other times it won't allow any of them.
For instance, I just dropped 150 files into the trash. I get a popup saying "103 of your files will be deleted immediately". I hit ok and 47 of them appeared in the trash. The rest were deleted.

This is a Mac Core 8 with 4 hard drives btw. The boot drive is on HD3 while the files I want deleted are spread through all 4 drives.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are some of the files you were putting in the trash on a network share/drive such as a Time capsule or drive connected to an Airport? If I remember correctly those files would be deleted immediately while any files on local (directly connected) drives remain in the Trash till emptied.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are some of the files you were putting in the trash on a network share/drive such as a Time capsule or drive connected to an Airport? If I remember correctly those files would be deleted immediately while any files on local (directly connected) drives remain in the Trash till emptied.

Nope... It's 4 internal hard drives. 1, 2 and 4 are for storage and 3 is the boot hard drive.
I also notice that after several attempts to drag things into the trash, it no longer accepts them at all. The popup just keep saying "Deleting 130 items" and spins forever until I relaunch the Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.