What should I put on my external HD to free up space??

D

DanZ

Hello all. I am new to this forum, but have owned an iMac for years. Recently my computer has been telling me that my startup disk is almost full. I decided to add some more room and purchased a 20gb Lacie hard drive on ebay. I put my mp3.s, my pictures and all my documents on the hard drive - still have 13.7gb left. I still keep getting the prompt that my startup disk is almost full. My question is - what else can I put on my external hard drive? Can I put software on it w/o having to uninstall the software. I haven't fiqued out a way to move that stuff.
Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated.
-Dan

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you place any applications on the external disk, I would put any third party applications. I would not put any iApp on the external, because when you upgrade any of the iApps, it will be looking for it on the system disk. If you moved all of your mp3s (music) and photos (pictures), be sure to remove them from your home folder//directory. Also if you have anything in the movies directory/folder, move it too.

If you are running Jaguar, you may want to run DeLocalizer this will free up some space.

OP
D

DanZ

rman, thanks for the reply. couple questions: how do I move a thrid party app. to the external HD? I am running panther, is there are program I should run to free up space on that OS?
-Dan

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Just drag and drop the folder into its new place. Then trash the old folder.

Just thought of something, if you have application on the same partition as the OS X system disk, You may want to move some of them, If you have some duplicate applications. It might a good time to do some house keeping. Example on my system I have three version of Toast, and two versions of Final Cut pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.