Iphoto only works in full screen

Reaction score
When I open Iphoto, the Iphoto window doesn't popup and I have to go to fullscreen to use it.

It's as if ( by mistake) I put the SW into a "mode" the last time I used it, and now it opens in that same mode.

What is causing Iphoto to do this?

C

chas_m

sounds like it is opening normally on a "second" monitor that you may no longer have attached, or in a "space" you've assigned it to but doesn't automatically move to.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
chas beat me to it by a margin. The only thing I could think of was the same as his second suggestion.

Try opening iPhoto as you would normally do - don't go into full screen - now open "Mission Control". This will show you all your spaces and open windows. Do you see iPhoto there?

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm using Mac OSX V10.6.8 and Iphoto11 V9.2.3

What is mission control?

I opened system preferences/personal/expose-spaces, and spaces is not enabled.

When I click on Iphoto, nothing happens except the top toolbar changes to

the-apple Iphoto file edit photos events share view window help.

I can only see the Iphoto program when I click view/full-screen, and I get an array of photos.

BTW there is some other phenomena happening where other programs zoom off the screen for no reason. It's as if Iphoto got zoomed off the screen, just beyond the edge of the screen where the mouse can't reach.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My error, I'm sorry. From the way you described your problem, I, like chas, guessed it might be related to desktops (Lion and Mountain Lion) or "Spaces" which was the predecessor in Snow Leopard (which I now learn is what you have as your OS). With "Spaces/Expose" it was possible to ascribe apps to specific spaces and it seemed reasonable to suggest that was your problem. One could also possible to make the corners "active" and again this was suggestive. Appears not to be the case now.

One further question: have you ever had a second monitor which you now no longer use?

Ian

C

chas_m

The "zooming" sounds like you are inadvertently pressing the key commands for switching spaces (control-1/2/3/etc or control-arrow). It does sound like somehow you've moved iPhoto to another space and now can't get it back.

Try turning spaces on, then using the control-arrow combo to move amongst the spaces. Is iPhoto present then? If so, turn off spaces again and that should "consolidate" the spaces into one.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(thanks chas. Don't feel quite so stupid as I did. Ian)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.