Time Machine Backups

Reaction score
I have a 64GB micro SD card, inserted using an adapter into my SD card slot on my late 2010 MBA. The card was formatted as journaled, encrypted using disk utility. I want time machine to back this card up just as it does for my internal drive. When I go to Options in Time Machine preferences, the drive shows up as being excluded. I select it and hit the - button and it goes of the exclusion list. However, it doesn't back up and when I check Options again it has reappeared. Any suggestions? Thanks!

C

chas_m

I just don't think that form factor is going to work for Time Machine. Use a real hard drive, or at least a thumb drive.

It could be that the problem is that you're trying to back up 64GB (I presume) onto a card with less than a full 64GB available.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have a time capsule with 2 TB drive to back up TO. I am trying to back up FROM an SD card with 64 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Is it mounted and the files accessible?

Time Machine can backup hfs external drives. I just wonder if the encryption is giving it issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
nevermind ... (asking about the Options settings)

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes to both questions. I will test with a spare SD card without encryption.

I made a test and found the same behavior - the card shows up in the exclusion list, I remove it from the list, but it doesn't back up and when I look at the exclusion list it is back on the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It should work so long as the card is formatted HFS+

I'm a bit stuck now the exclusion flag won't stay put.

Perhaps consider an Automator action that runs when you put the card in. Have it copy the contents to a folder on your machines disk where it will get backed up by time machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
The card is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

When I have a USB external drive connected, it initially shows in the exclusion list but I can delete that exclusion and it stays deleted.

As for your work around, I appreciate the thought, but my sole purpose in using this SD card is to give me a little breathing space on the built-in SSD. In effect, I'm trying to use the SD card as a second, built-in hard drive (I've ordered a Nifty mini drive....http://theniftyminidrive.com) that will allow me to leave the mini SD card installed more or less permanently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.