Mac OS X error occured during installation

Reaction score
My wife just tried installing Snow leopard but right towards the end of installation it said an error occured and it just kept "thinking". I eventually just had to turn the power off b/c it was "thinking" for 1/2 hour. When I turned the power back on, it just gave me a ? on a folder. I then held the option button and it came up with a screen to install snow leopard again. It didn't work before, so I assume it's not going to work again. How can I make it get off this installer screen and to go back to the regular operating system that is actually installed, not snow leopard. It gives me Utility option on the top, but I don't want to lose important files that were up during the install.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well 260 views and no one could help me. Luckily the Apple tech on the phone explained it to me and we got it to work. Apparently when installing a new OS, you have to start the install after you restart the computer (you can't just put the cd in on your home screen and click install). We restarted the computer and held "C" and it allowed us to reinstall the Snow Leopard. Her computer is really slow now, but I expected it as it's quite old >5 years and Snow leopard demands more than the previous OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well 260 views and no one could help me.

Sorry...wrong conclusion. Most of those views are not from registered members.

- Nikc

OP
A
Reaction score
Well that's reassuring. Thanks for the info, but that is quite confusing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not confusing at all. Every time a Google search hit on one of our forum threads scores, it's counted as a view. Which means your thread could have been viewed 280 times by non-members. Anyway, we're glad to hear you've resolved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.