First Post and I need help, Go figure!

Reaction score
Hi all, first off thanks for letting me onboard and for any and all help!
So I've been nursing an old G5 for ever and found a "deal" on a slightly newer 2.66 dual core xenon machine so I can run some newer software.Well she starts to boot up, white screen with apple, then blue screen, then flashing blue and green with lines in it! fans run at normal speed and every minute or 2 I will get a solid blue screen then back to flashing. I would say video card but it works during initial start up (its a 7300GT I think) Any ideas would be so appericated. Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I believe you have the Mac Pro 4,1 which was sold from 2009 to Aug 2010.
Not a Mac Pro owner, but it does sound to me like it is your Video Card.

As I don't have any helpful advice to offer, I will suggest what I would do before abandoning hope and/or spending money. I would pull the cards and reseat them on the off chance of loosening during shipment. Doubt that is the problem, but it costs nothing to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So did you get the install DVD's with this new Mac Pro ?? If so try and do the Apple Hardware Test but does sound like the Graphics/Video card could be on the way out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For your second post, I'd suggest a more descriptive title. For this one, perhaps "Blue, Green, Flashing Screen" would have worked. It's catchy, and tells us what you need help with immediately.

I'd say you're going to expend a lot of effort trying to get that old of a machine to work. If it's worth it to you, keep trying. But, if you win the lottery, buy a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
If you have an Apple store convenient to you, they can at least run a free hardware diagnostic test that will tell you what piece of equipment is faulty. That way, you at least don't go on a wild goose chase replacing parts in it.

It's most likely the graphics card or Logic board though. Both are expensive to replace :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.