My iMac screen is messed up

Reaction score
Hey y'all my iMac screen has random vertical lines going up and down it what can I do to fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey y'all my iMac screen has random vertical lines going up and down it what can I do to fix it?

A photo would help...but if it's the sort of vertical lines I've seen many times...it's usually a sign that the graphics hardware on the iMac is "heading South". And no...there's really nothing that can be done that would be financially responsible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If the random vertical lines are thin 1 pixel wide, then it's more likely your LCD panel has failed. This was very common on 17" iMacs from 2006. If you can still view your desktop there is a quick check you can run. Note the thickness and position of the vertical lines, then drop the screen resolution. If the lines remain the same the LCD panel will require require replacement. If they increase in thickness it's more likely to be a logic board or video card fault, depending upon your model of iMac. Attaching an external display via an adapter is another way to determine what has failed.

OP
D
Reaction score
@Techiesteve thanks so much that helps to know what it is. The lines stayed the same so I think it is the LCD display. I appreciate it y'all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.