Replacing computers with a black MacBook

Reaction score
I have an iBook G4 which is going on 9 years old now and really needs to be replaced. Since I'm not willing to shell out over $1000 on a new laptop at the moment, I was thinking about purchasing a used or refurbished black MacBook. Is this a good replacement?

In addition, I would want to sell my Mac Mini (Summer 2011) and just use the MacBook as my computer to do everything. Yes, I realize the MacBook is older, but when I look at the specs, of the lowest end Mac Mini from Summer 2011 and the high end Black MacBook, I don't see a very large difference. Should I go as far as replacing both my iBook and Mac Mini with the black MacBook?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Which black Macbook? They were produced between 2006 and 2008 and vary in specs. You obviously want the newer version where possible. Realize that the latest version of OS X doesn't support the black Macbooks and that means you are already buying an "obsolete" Mac that will not work with any newer OS than Lion.

Now at the surface that doesn't seem like a bad thing, but it's entirely possible that some applications (later, if not now) will require Mountain Lion as the minimum or something..and you won't be able to use that machine..

Tell us what your budget is and perhaps we can help you better decide what Mac will make the best upgrade option for you..

There is a refurb MBP 13" for just over $1000 right now..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iBook G4 which is going on 9 years old now and really needs to be replaced. Since I'm not willing to shell out over $1000 on a new laptop at the moment, I was thinking about purchasing a used or refurbished black MacBook. Is this a good replacement?

The short answer is YES...an Intel-based black MacBook would be MUCH better than a G4 iBook. I have a 2008 white MacBook...and it is a great computer for most internet surfing, e-mail, and stuff like Microsoft Office.

If you need the computer to do more than this...we would need more info.

...I realize the MacBook is older, but when I look at the specs, of the lowest end Mac Mini from Summer 2011 and the high end Black MacBook, I don't see a very large difference. Should I go as far as replacing both my iBook and Mac Mini with the black MacBook?

When you are comparing the specs of a black MacBook and a 2011 Mac-Mini...I hate to say it...but you probably don't know what you're looking at...because there is a BIG BIG difference!;) The 2011 Mac-Mini has:

- a much faster cpu (has an almost DOUBLE benchmark score)
- much faster graphics hardware
- much higher max. ram
- much larger hard drive
- capable of running the latest Mac OS

What I'm trying to say is...if you like the performance of your 2011 Mac-Mini...a black MacBook will be slower.

Thus...replacing your 2011 Mac-Mini and a 9 year-old G4 iBook with a black MacBook would be an overall improvement in terms of having more "portable" power (black MacBook better than a G4 iBook)...but a downgrade in performance (a 2011 Mac-Mini much better than a 2008 black MacBook).

HTH,:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree 100% with Nick and Ashwin. I am typing this on a late 2007 White Macbook which I bet is the same as the Black one you are after and a 2011 Mini will rip it apart in most things. This system with Lion is fine for most normal computing but is already being held back by the fact it will not run Mountain Lion and some newer Apps are starting to drag a bit.

If I were you I would sell the iBook and replace it with the Black Macbook but also keep the Mini as your main desktop system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I were you I would sell the iBook and replace it with the Black Macbook but also keep the Mini as your main desktop system.

Great suggestion! The best of both worlds!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Tell us what your budget is and perhaps we can help you better decide what Mac will make the best upgrade option for you...

My budget is around $500 - I've been looking at these used MacBooks on Amazon.com

pigoo3 said:
The short answer is YES...an Intel-based black MacBook would be MUCH better than a G4 iBook. I have a 2008 white MacBook...and it is a great computer for most internet surfing, e-mail, and stuff like Microsoft Office.

If you need the computer to do more than this...we would need more info.

It needs to be able to play the Sims 2 (Which is possible when using Lion even though it is a PPC app)

dtravis7 said:
I may end up doing that if I decide that using the MacBook for everything isn't a good idea, but it would be nice to have some extra cash in my pocket.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I checked out that url. Do not buy the one for $375 as it has a bad USB port. Not a good thing. The lesser one at $350 has a dead battery. The one I really liked there was the one for $600 but $600 is a lot of $$$ for an old Core2Duo Machine.

OP
J
Reaction score
I checked out that url. Do not buy the one for $375 as it has a bad USB port. Not a good thing. The lesser one at $350 has a dead battery. The one I really liked there was the one for $600 but $600 is a lot of $$$ for an old Core2Duo Machine.

eBay is also a potential place for me to find them. Good stuff usually goes for less over there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It needs to be able to play the Sims 2 (Which is possible when using Lion even though it is a PPC app).

Actually not correct. In order to run a PPC app. you need "Rosetta"...and Rosetta was discontinued with OS 10.7 "Lion".

This doesn't mean that you can't run Sims 2 on a black MacBook...you just can't do it with Lion. You would have to do it with an OS version before Lion...and which versions are possible depends on the exact model black MacBook you're talking about.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eBay is also a potential place for me to find them. Good stuff usually goes for less over there.

FYI...I wouldn't pay more than $400-$450 for a black MacBook (sometimes the black MacBooks command a premium for the color). A white MacBook with the exact same specs can be had for $300-$350.

In my case...the 2008 white MacBook I use...I got for $150! A local Craig's List deal!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually not correct. In order to run a PPC app. you need "Rosetta"...and Rosetta was discontinued with OS 10.7 "Lion".

This doesn't mean that you can't run Sims 2 on a black MacBook...you just can't do it with Lion. You would have to do it with an OS version before Lion...and which versions are possible depends on the exact model black MacBook you're talking about.

- Nick

I've got it working right now on my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. It had the line thru it until I installed one of the expansion packs that was universal (Thank god for the Internet)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got it working right now on my Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. It had the line thru it until I installed one of the expansion packs that was universal (Thank god for the Internet)

Yes...I forgot to mention that with Sims 2...some expansion packs help get folks over the PPC hurdle...congrats!:) This is actually a rare situation. With most PPC programs this doesn't happen...usually someone has to purchase a completely updated version of a program.

But the Sims 2 is a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier about the black MacBook & 2011 Mac-Mini siuation. Sims 2 (like many games) draws heavily on the graphics hardware of a computer.

If you were to sell your 2011 Mac-Mini...got the black MacBook (and wanted to run Sims 2 on the black MacBook)...you would be seriously disappointed with the performance of Sims 2 on the MacBook (after being used to the performance on the 2011 Mac-Mini).

The performance on the black MacBook would be:

- slower
- laggy
- probably have to reduce the graphics quality level
- MacBook fans would be loud, running full blast, and the bottom of the MacBook would be too hot to have anywhere but a flat tabletop

I'm not trying to talk you out of purchasing the black MacBook (since it would be way better than a G4 iBook)...but it does have it's limitations...like any 5-7 year-old computer would.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
.But the Sims 2 is a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier about the black MacBook & 2011 Mac-Mini siuation. Sims 2 (like many games) draws heavily on the graphics hardware of a computer.

The performance on the black MacBook would be:

- slower
- laggy
- probably have to reduce the graphics quality level
- MacBook fans would be loud, running full blast, and the bottom of the MacBook would be too hot to have anywhere but a flat tabletop

I had the sims 2 on my iBook but then moved it to the Mac Mini (for all the reasons you said) but I've heard it runs decent on the MacBook. I'll look into that

OP
J
Reaction score
I looked around the web and people say it runs good (even on some of the earlier MacBooks) so I'm confident it will work well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked around the web and people say it runs good (even on some of the earlier MacBooks) so I'm confident it will work well.

I actually have personal experience with Sims 2 and 2007-2008 MacBooks. My wife used to play Sims 2 on her 2007-2008 MacBook...and although it did run...it wasn't perfect. Which was fine for her...because she never ran Sims 2 on a "better" computer.

But for you (who has run Sims 2 on a 2011 Mac-Mini)...the situation is different (going from a much faster computer to a slower one). Just sending some "watch-outs" your way. This way you won't be surprised or disappointed if what I've mentioned turns out to be true.;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, based on everything that's been said I think I'm going to sell the G4 and keep the mini, and maybe I'll even go after a white MacBook because it may be lower price for equal specs. Thanks for everyone's help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, based on everything that's been said I think I'm going to sell the G4 and keep the mini, and maybe I'll even go after a white MacBook because it may be lower price for equal specs. Thanks for everyone's help!

Sounds like a plan...but here are a couple other things to consider. You could sell both the G4 iBook and the 2011 Mac-Mini...then instead of purchasing a black or white MacBook...purchase an "Early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro.

This "Early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro would basically be similar in performance to your 2011 Mac-Mini...but in a portable (laptop) format. I believe these are currently worth around $800-$850.

The other option (suggested earlier) could be to purchase a refurbished 2012 13" MacBook Pro from the Apple Store ($1019)...which would be even better than your Mac-Mini.

You mentioned having a $500 budget. This $500 + what you get for selling your Mac-Mini and G4 iBook would get you very close to either of these 2 additional options.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmm…
All of these options seem nice. The performance of my Mac mini is fine, and I like the design and price tag of the MacBooks (don't get me wrong, the pros are great too) so I'll probably do what I said I was going to do before, but now I'll have to think about it.

C

chas_m

My budget is around $500

I loved my 2007 Black MacBook to pieces, but your plan is a serious waste of money. Get the base Mac Mini (refurbished if possible). If you HAVE to have a portable, get a used 2009 or later MacBook or MBP.

It needs to be able to play the Sims 2 (Which is possible when using Lion even though it is a PPC app)

Bzzz. No. If it's a PPC app it *will not work* on Lion as there is *no* compatibility with PPC code. You are confused on something there somewhere.

OP
J
Reaction score
Seriously?

JNK123 said:

Bzzz. No. If it's a PPC app it *will not work* on Lion as there is *no* compatibility with PPC code. You are confused on something there somewhere.

Did you not read the thread? I explained how I got it to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.