convincing family about mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
all i need are more upsides or places with cheaper macs

I dont see why you need this because of your quote below . . . . . .

im a huge mac fan. problem? I was raised by windows family. in my earlier post, i asked if the cheap mac mini would be a good fit because its cheaper. How do i convince my family to a mac. my parents wan something windows for 500..

It is obvious to me that your parents DONT want a Mac or anything to do with them. Just because you are happy with your's, doesnt mean they have to be happy to convert over to Mac or more so OS X. Being parents, they will be set in their way and seem to me that they are content to have another Windows machine.
If they are not to tech savvy, then you have to also deal with teachng them a new OS, and if they cant get hold of it, to then deal with their mood, because they cant get hold of the Mac OS.

If i was you, and if you really, really want to push them in that direction, give them a bit of time on your Mac to see if they can handle it.
IMHO there is no need what so ever to get them a Mac, because YOU want them too, when all you will be doing is Booting into Windows for them to feel comfortable, and to play games etc.
There is no logic in that what so ever.
Sorry about being blunt, but thats the low down of it.

Cheers

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
TM is spot on with his advice. You are already a satisfied Mac user and that's great. There is no reason to believe that your parents wont' be just as happy with a Windows computer of their liking. Frankly, Windows XP and Windows 7 ( the two I have most experience with in the past decade) are very stable versions of Windows.

The issues largely come from not having the necessary anti-malware software to protect the computer from the dangers lurking on the Internet.

Also, if gaming is a big enough priority and if you do a search, you'll find that most of us recognize that Macs trail Windows in the gaming department. While you can certainly run games on Macs, the need to match the game to the specific hardware means you are going to be limited.

Allow them to stick to Windows and enjoy your Mac..:)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL
i was harsh, i just wanted them to see you get a better deal with mac, if they stay windows, i wont be angry

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im takin this post down, i realized i posted this when i was tired, an i sound like a jerk in it

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
let me rephrase, my parents really like long lasting stuff, they are just a little stubborn with the money part, but i really think if they willingly tried it, they would like. my dad barley (maybe twice a year) uses a computer. and my mom uses internet and word documents. not a big change, my parents arent dead set on interface but money,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What I'd recommend and what I have done with family members (kids/parents) - primarily for those that really needed a Mac because they couldn't maintain a malware/virus free machine and I was always having to fix their Windows machine - I bought them their first Mac. None of them have had any desire to go back to Windows when it came time for them to purchase their own next computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
my dad barley (maybe twice a year) uses a computer.

FYI...this is "barley" (barley is a grain):

food_barley.jpg

I'm guessing the word you're looking for is "barely".;)

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Also, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing that you aren't financially independent yet, so technically it's their money so they can spend it however they want..:)

It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend..:) I think we've all done that..I was so much cooler when I was younger, but now that I'm my a parent..I'm definitely not cool as I thought I was per my daughter..:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend..:)

REALLY...this isn't the way it's supposed to work!!!;)

...I was so much cooler when I was younger, but now that I'm my a parent..I'm definitely not cool as I thought I was per my daughter..:)

One thing that I've learned as I've gotten older (actually a belief I've had since my teens)...is that being cool is highly over-rated!!! Just look where most of the "cool" kids from high school are today...enough said!;)

There's nothing more sad then seeing the "cool" star high school football player (10, 20, or 30 years later)...sitting in an old worn out easy chair...drinking 2 six-packs a day...with a gut as big as a beachball. Kind of like this guy:

images

For all you "cool" 14-18 years-olds out there...don't laugh...many of you WILL look like this (10, 20, 30 years in the future)...believe it or not!;)

- Nick

p.s. And no...this is not a self-portrait!!!;)
p.p.s. Tattoo's are optional!;);)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend..)

so true, i will admit, i have done this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
p.s. And no...this is not a self-portrait!!!;)

If i didnt know you as a avid runner, then i would of called B.S hahaha

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do i take a post down

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do i take a post down

You don't. Threads aren't private...they're here for all of us to read and learn from.

Community Guidlelines

If you discontinue posting...folks will discontinue replying...and the thread will "Ride Off into the Sunset".:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.