Network Security

Reaction score
This is my first MacBook Pro and, while I'm navigating the new OS fairly well, my knowledge base is Windows having used those operating systems for over 25 years. This is also my first question, so hope this is the right way.
Is it necessary to have a security suite if I run a network that has both a Windows 7 PC and a MacBook Pro? I have done some net research and it seems the prevailing wisdom is that the Mac OS does not need any security. My concern is that Windows will open a door for infection to an unprotected Mac. I do run AVG on the Windows PC. Thanks in advance for your input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My concern is that Windows will open a door for infection to an unprotected Mac. I do run AVG on the Windows PC. Thanks in advance for your input.

A Windows virus can not infect or in any way damage your MacBook Pro even if they're on the same network. Of course you want to protect your Windows 7 PC at all times. By the way, I have never liked AVG and instead use the free MS Security Essentials which is non intrusive and does a good job of keeping things clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.