BootCamp problem

Reaction score
I had problem wile partioning saying that some files cant be moved.so please help me.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.26 GHz, 2GB, 160GB. iPod touch 2nd gen, 8GB, 27" Core i7, 8GB, 1TB iMac
Whats the exact error message?

I've just been though a partitioning nightmare on my MacBook Air - it's much more likely to work if you boot up into recovery mode (shut down, hold down the alt key and press the power button) and try making a partition from disk utility on the recovery partition. It's often an issue relating to trying to partition an active drive, so that might solve your problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had problem wile partioning saying that some files cant be moved.so please help me.......

That message is a bit deceiving. What it means is that there is not enough continuos free space on your hard drive to create a partition with the Boot Camp assistant. In other words, your hard drive is fragmented. You can do one of two things... erase the drive, reinstall, restore with Time Machine, or, use software to remove the fragmentation. iDefrag is one such program that can remove the fragmentation. ($39.95)

OP
K
Reaction score
this is the problem while partioning bootcamp

After opening bootcamp while doing partioning of mac for windows it stops and shows an error message "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved."
and it shows """Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."""

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read my reply to you? Repeating the problem is not going to resolve it. I gave you two solutions that will work. If you want to use Boot Camp to install Windows, then you need to do what I suggested. Otherwise, don't install Windows using Boot Camp.

OP
K
Reaction score
i have done so
but while erasing the option to erase and format is not highlitened
so what i want to do now

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can't erase and format the drive while you're booted up into OS X - it's not going to let you erase itself.

Depending on which version of OS X you have, you need to boot either:
from the disc that shipped with your machine,
from a USB backup of OS X you created
or reboot into the recovery partition.

There are others that probably don't agree, but my personal opinion is that if you've filled up a drive to the point that it is not allowing you to create the Windows partition, you would be a good nominee to get iDefrag - especially if you like keeping OS X booting and running as good as it's capable. I also recommend making sure you keep 40% free space minimum on any partition with a bootable OS to keep that OS running as fast as capable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.