iPhone 4 to HD tv w/cable not working

Reaction score
I rented films on Apple tv, have them in my iTunes, purchased Apple Composit AV cable, hooked up, iPhone 4, 6.1.2 w/cable - yellow to yellow, red to red, wht to wht, pressed on remote AV button, accessed movies in iTunes, pressed view, but doesn't work. What could I be doing wrong ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello chas_m,
Don't mean to be flip, but what's the importance ? A1218 (I'm in Europe). The films were already purchased, saved on iTunes and can be viewed via MacPro, iPad or iPhone. My issue is transfer to tv via cable. I have photos of tv, cable and remote, if that helps.
Thanks Dee

C

chas_m

Knowing what Apple TV model (there have been at least three versions, all quite different) is a starting point for deciphering what might be wrong. I should have guessed from your mention of composite cables that you were using the outdated original model.

I don't believe the iPhone 4 running 6.1.2 is going to work with an Apple TV that outdated. But since I could be wrong, info on the TV model you're trying to hook to would also be helpful.

I suspect the "remote AV" button you're talking about is the AirPlay icon -- which doesn't apply to that Apple TV model.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I rented films on Apple tv, have them in my iTunes,

Am "assuming" from all of that - you rented a movie and downloaded it to iTunes on your computer.

purchased Apple Composit AV cable, hooked up, iPhone 4, 6.1.2 w/cable - yellow to yellow, red to red, wht to wht, pressed on remote AV button,

You then connected a cable from your iPhone to the TV.

accessed movies in iTunes, pressed view, but doesn't work. What could I be doing wrong ?

Then went into iTunes on your computer (which is not connected to the TV) and pressed play?

Have you transferred the movies to the iPhone?
And then opened "Videos" on your iPhone and pressed play?

(And, if you do have a HDTV, they're not going to look very good via a composite cable.)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again for your time.
I hooked my Mac OSX pro book version 10.7.5 up to the television.
My films are in iTunes and can be played on computer. I still don't understand why it would matter what Apple tv we have. The computer is hooked up to the tv and the transfer is not happening.

OP
D
Reaction score
bobtomay,
I connected computer to tv, went to iTunes store, see rentals, but they don't transfer to tv.
And to answer your other question, yes, I transferred 1 movie to 'videos' on my iPhone and pressed play.
I'm not near the television now, so I'll have to continue this next weekend, when I try again. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.