13-inch, Mid 2012 Macbook pro with connection issues to a 5ghz network

Reaction score
Hey!

So i've some some research on the issue where my macbook pro can see the connection and connect to the 5ghz network and that quickly disconnects there after.

I have verified that it connects to the internet by opening up a webpage quickly.

Now something weird is when I turn the router off than back on my computer will than be able to connect to the 5ghz signal and work for a few day but will always eventually stop working again.. I read something about some file that has to do with the firewall but could never find it to delete it

So my question is if this is a known issue or if im lucky ;) or is it have something to do with the router because there is no issue with any other apple devices in the house when it comes to connecting to the router...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello ChrisP1,

Unfortunately there are so many variables to an unstable connection that they are hard to pin down.

Make sure your Mac's software is up to date first.

Then I would start with your router.Go into it's settings menu and do a firmware update.

This is an often missed issue and if your router is not set to update automatically then it'll forever lag behind when you introduce newer equipment.( I would even go as far as restoring it back to factory settings and re-configuring it before you do an update but make sure you have all your internet settings and passwords to hand before you do.)

The firewall thing you mention is most probably the Security Mode and Authentication options. We would recommend on here that you set this in your router's settings to WPA/WPA2 with the authentication the same.If you are using a password or Pre-Shared Key (PSK) then you'l want to see that option in the security settings as well.

See what happens first and report back

Cheers

Liam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.