Bluetooth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2
What is bluetooth and what is its use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
It's a wireless technology for sending information over short distances (typically 10 meters but can get up to 100 meters). It was originally developed to help mobile phones communicate with computers and you will commonly find it in wireless keyboards and mice as well.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 13-inch, mid 2010, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.8.2
Thanks for the input!

C

chas_m

I think most people primarily think of Bluetooth as being the short-range wireless protocol that makes their cell phone headsets work. However, I use it for my wireless keyboard and mouse for my Mac, the wireless keyboard for my iPad, and wireless headphones for my iPhone. The new Bluetooth 4.0 standard will make it possible to do a lot of other things with Bluetooth.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always have bluetooth turned off because I never use it. I don't really see a need for it. Hearing what it's for definitely gives me a better understanding of it though.

C

chas_m

Yes, if you're not actively using it, it's a great idea to turn it off. Saves battery on portables, and saves resources on desktops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.