Powerbook stuck on Digital Out..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
My Powerbook G4 DL-Superive suddenly has no sound and I cant adjust the volume as the volume slider is greyed out. When I check sound in System prefs Under Choose a device for sound output all it has underneath is Digital Out and the red beam is coming out of the actual optical out, this means no sound comes out of my powerbooks speakers. Sound works fine when I plug my separate speakers into my Powerbook and in system prefs it says line out for sound output. Can any help as I'm stuck without sound on my PB unless I plug in some speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
after having to play with midi settings for logic express i could not get sound to return to my computer nor could i adjust the volume in prefs or with the sliders and what not....i needed to change the midi settings back to their original state because i had it sending it to all the wrong places....once i was out of logic...maybe you have done something like this??

-chris

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have logic express but don't use it can you give me more details of what settings you changed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
um, i dont really remember but go to applications->utilities->audio midi setup

under audio devices tab make sure you are using built in audio, or some combination that works for you.

OP
randomfactor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that and still no luck. I'm just going to have to take it to the Apple Store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.