Media Player

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is a good Media Player alternative to iTunes?

VLC will play just about anything and it's free. However, it's not a substitute for what iTunes can do.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for the replay. I use VLC for video files, but I'm looking more for audio. I don't need music downloads because I have iTunes. The ones I've seen seem lame. I might just have to stick with iTunes.

C

chas_m

We could probably supply you with a much better answer if you could articulate what it is you don't like or don't understand about iTunes.

Hundreds of millions of people are using it as their default media player, so I am inclined to think (and this corroborates my own experience) that the people who are looking for alternatives generally fall into one of these categories:

1. Mindlessly hates anything Apple makes
2. Hasn't taken the time to learn iTunes as is frustrated
3. Misunderstands what it can and can't do, or to what level a user can use or ignore various functions.

The reason you can't find a compelling alternative might suggest that Apple has covered most of the bases pretty well with iTunes, so knowing more about why you want an alternative will help us either show you how iTunes can do what it is you're looking for OR suggest an alternative that will actually work for your purposes.

OP
L
Reaction score
I unstand iTunes just find. I'm not a noob. I just wanted something different. I found it. Winamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You could also try Songbird, which now supports all manner of devices as well as your Mac :)

Songbird

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.