How can I disable the built-in screen from an external monitor?

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here, so I hope this is in the right place.

I somehow broke the screen on my Air. They want $600 to replace it, and I don't have the money. I do have an external HDMI port that goes to a TV. I have been able to login suscessfully, but the display isn't mirrored on the external monitor. This is my first mac, and I've only had it for a few months, so I'm not familiar with all the keyboard shortcuts. I'm looking for a way to pull up the terminal in that screen so I can disable the factory monitor and just use the external.

Doing some searching, it looks like I can disable it by using

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

But I can't get to the terminal.

Please help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do have an external HDMI port that goes to a TV. I have been able to login suscessfully, but the display isn't mirrored on the external monitor.

I'm looking for a way to pull up the terminal in that screen so I can disable the factory monitor and just use the external.

Doing some searching, it looks like I can disable it by using

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"

But I can't get to the terminal.

You are over-thinking things!;) Just run your MacBook Air in "clamshell mode":

Mac notebooks: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks a bunch! Didn't know you could do that!

You are welcome!:)

Yeah...it's a pretty cool feature (especially if the laptops display gets busted)!;) I run my MacBook Pro with an external monitor like this quite a bit.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anytime you get tired of that 30" beauty Nick, I'll personally drive to your place to pick it up! :p I'm still trying to convince the wife we need a new 27" Thunderbolt display. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime you get tired of that 30" beauty Nick, I'll personally drive to your place to pick it up! :p I'm still trying to convince the wife we need a new 27" Thunderbolt display. ;D

Ha Ha Charlie! I know that you're just "itching" to get a super-big external display.

To be honest...I think that the 27" Thunderbolt display in many ways is superior to the older 30" display. The 27" has:

- built-in speakers
- more ports
- ability to power/charge the laptop that it is attached to
- LED vs. LCD
- faster refresh rate
- probably consumes less power

The two plus's for the 30" are:

- more screen real estate (slightly larger than the 27")
- since it is a 30" panel (versus 27")...text is slightly larger than it would be on the 27".

For the price I paid for the 30"...I'm very happy with it...and strangely...the 30" size doesn't seem nearly as MASSIVE as it once did! I actually have been thinking of posting it on Craig's List or e-Bay...and seeing what I could get for it (above what I paid for it). If I can get a couple hundred more than I paid for it...that would get me close enough to purchase a refurbished 27" display from the Apple online store!:) And since I do have the original box...shipping would be easier too.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.