Lost Windows partition after restoring Mac OS X partition via SuperDuper!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (mid-2010 model), [email protected], 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Mac OS X Lion, ver.10.7.5
I have recently bought a second-hand Mac Mini (model 2009) and its owner told me that he had already split the drive in two equal partitions and had installed Microsoft Windows 7 on the second partition via BootCamp (actually, I was able to verify that because an NTFS-based partition appeared in both the Disk Utility and the Startup Disk in Preferences).

As soon as I got my hands on the Mac Mini, I immediately proceeded in restoring the contents of the Mac OS X partiton of my older iMac on to the existing HFS+ disk partition using a fresh backup, that I had taken with SuperDuper! (I configured the external FireWire-connected disk drive of my backup as the startup disk of the Mac Mini and then executed the restore process via SuperDuper! from within the OS environment of my backup volume). As soon as the restore was completed (and after I disconnected the external disk drive of my SuperDuper! backup), I was able to boot into Mac OS X on the Mac Mini and verified that all of my applications and data were intact and available - however, the old NTFS partition is no longer offered as an option in the Startup Disk applet in Preferences (it does appear as an NTFS volume in the Disk Utility, though).

Is there anything that I can do to make that NTFS partition come back as an option in the Startup Disk applet (I hate to have to re-install Windows from scratch from the DVD...)?

Thanks very much.
Panos Tsapralis, Athens, GREECE.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums:

I'm not sure it will work but what you can try is a repair of your Windows 7 partition. For that you will need your original install DVD of Windows 7 and follow the Microsoft instructions to repair the Windows 7 boot sector: LINK

Caution: Be very careful not to repair the wrong partition! If you do, you will have to reinstall OS X. Make a backup first of your OS X partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.