Dosen't let go of inactive RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I have 8 Gs of RAM but it seems to latch on and not let it go. I have a lot of inactive RAM. Why dosen't it free up when I close whatever RAM hog I was using (a video, iPhoto, etc.)?
Right now I have 8 Tabs. I've messed around with iPhoto and watched a few videos, but they are now closed. 3G active, 3G inactive 1 wired, 1 free. As the day goes on, the free RAM diminishes. I don't get the beach ball of death, so it really isn't slowing this thing down, but I'm just curious what the thinking is. As I understand it, the iPhoto and the vid (as examples) are waiting in the wings incase I want to use it again, for faster access; is this the case?.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Dont worry too much about memory management in OSX. If active RAM is needed by a new application it will be freed up.

Generally OSX seems to use up a lot of RAM, but its just trying to be efficient, but it will allocate more RAM to actively running applications as and when they need it.

Free RAM is just the amount of RAM that has not yet been used by anything, so is not an accurate guide to how much RAM is available to newly launched apps

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have 8 Gs of RAM but it seems to latch on and not let it go. I have a lot of inactive RAM. Why dosen't it free up when I close whatever RAM hog I was using (a video, iPhoto, etc.)?

This is the way it works. Ram that was used for an application that was just closed...then becomes inactive ram. For the purposes of this post..."free ram" and "inactive ram" are the same thing. All of this ram is available for any application that needs it.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Read this. In short, read inactive memory as free memory.

EDIT: Ahh! Beaten to the keyboard by Nick. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hey...the best thing is we're in agreement!:)
Hmmm....no, inactive memory is the worst thing ever! :p

All joking aside, Nick is very much correct. Inactive memory is memory that was in use and is allocated but if need be, can be reallocated at a moment's notice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.