HDCP High bandwidth digital content protection - DVI screen

Reaction score
Is there a current DVI screen that will play new movies? I just plugged in my old DVI 20" Apple Cinema Display into a brand new 12 core Mac Pro and tried to view a new release and this came up in iTunes:
It won't play without, HDCP High bandwidth digital content protection

Does anyone know what the best thing to do is? I need the screen 20 feet from the computer and I have spent the last few days researching and going to the Apple Store and nobody seems to have a clue. Every Mini DisplayPort extender is only 6' which makes me think you can't extent those monitors.

???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pretty much every monitor/TV and graphics card manufactured from about 2006-2007 forward will be HDCP compatible - a great many from '05 and a few earlier models. It came to TVs and graphics cards designed specifically for media first. Don't believe you're going to find any monitor/TV manufactured in the last 3-4 years that does not support HDCP.

Running DVI 20' - maybe, maybe not... depends on the signal strength being sent - the spec is only for 15'.
I would guess the graphics card in the new Mac Pro could do 25' without a video extender.

For DVI cables up to 50' head to monoprice.com. Check the reviews. Have never had to run longer than 15' myself but have seen many 50' runs with success.

They should have a video extender also if you end up requiring one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.