Why is screensaver not activating?

Reaction score
I am using OSX 10.8.2 and for sometime time now my screensaver will not activate. I have checked the settings, set it to activate after 5 minutes, but nothing happens. I don't have anything open that might prevent it, either. I was wondering if maybe my notifications that appear in the top right of the screen for birthdays etc might have something to do with it? If so, I wouldn't have thought this should happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My s eensaver comes on after a hr inactivity and i have notification centre working.
Try repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility log out then in again and see if that helps

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I've got it working again. I tried a simple restart and that did the trick. Hope it continues to work!

Reaction score
Same Issue... Interim Fix

I have had the same issue with my iMac Mini. I'm guessing its a bug, but I did find a link to an article that will help you set a hotkey to activate your screen saver. You have to manually start it but at least your screen won't die if you walk away for a few hours.

How to Start the Mac Screen Saver with a Keyboard Shortcut in OS X | OSXDaily

I've tried it and it works a charm. Hopefully Apple will get a fix in the next update.

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You have to manually start it but at least your screen won't die if you walk away for a few hours.

Cheers,

In this day and age of computing, you don't get screen burn-in anymore. I have only recently started using screen savers on my 2013 13"MBP, but before that, I didn't bother, as I knew that my screen would be safe.

iPad Air 2 using Mac Forums App

Reaction score
Thank you so much! The hot corner option would never stay active and your suggestion works perfectly.

Reaction score
OK so the shortcut works, Thanks! but I don't understand why it stopped starting as its should on its own.

Mac Mini, screen saver was working fine then just stopped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK so the shortcut works, Thanks! but I don't understand why it stopped starting as its should on its own.

Mac Mini, screen saver was working fine then just stopped.

This is a pretty old thread and not many participants, but it could be a corrupted preference.

Try changing your screensaver preferences in Energy Saver to something you don't want, save, and then go back and set them to what you DO WANT, save by closing the window.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
This is a pretty old thread and not many participants, but it could be a corrupted preference.

Try changing your screensaver preferences in Energy Saver to something you don't want, save, and then go back and set them to what you DO WANT, save by closing the window.

- Patrick
======
that was the first thing I tried. I changed the depay and the screensaver to something else, restarted the machine and still nothing. I changed it all back to what I wanted, still nothing. Restarted, still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think there should be an issue with your graphic card.

I think the comment from PressureDrop
suggested that the suggestion from ferrarr (Bob) worked to fix the problem rather than their graphics card blowing up. :[

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.