Using an external hard drive to free up space on my mac

Reaction score
I'm down to about 500mb on the hard drive, so I decided to buy an external hard drive to free up some space on my Mac. My question is, what's that best way to go about doing this? I want to delete files that I don't use very often from my mac (e.g. my photos) and store them solely on the external hard drive. Would it be OK to use Time Machine to do this? Once I delete them from my mac, won't that sync up with my external hard drive? Let me know if this needs more clarification. Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't tell us which Mac you have? If it's a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the easier solution is to just replace the internal hard drive with a larger one. If you own an iMac, then replacing the hard drive is much more difficult.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's a MacBook Pro. If it's possible, I'd prefer just to do this on an external hard drive though... mainly since I already bought one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your best bet is to use a dedicated drive for time machine and another separate drive for any file archiving you may need to do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.