ReInstall Itunes?

A

andyw

Mac OS X 10.4.4

I am quite new to the mac experience, and i was having troubles with itunes. It would not start, i tried several reboots and some tinkering about.

Anyway to cut a story short, i thought i'd try and re-install itunes so i downloaded it again from apple.com but it kept saying there was nothing to install. So i thought that because i alreasy had the latest version on my mac it would not let me try and install again.

So i dragged itunes to trash and emptied the trash :)

After a reboot, the installer is still saying the same, when you see the components its to install, it just says skip next to them, and when you try continuing it still says nothing to install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
You may have to reinstall OSX. I had a similar problem with iChat once. Reloaded Tiger from the install CD, and everything came back fine. Hopefully you still have the install disk.

OP
A

andyw

By re-install OSX you mean completly wipe eveything? or is it like windows repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
don't reinstall OSX, double click on yuor hard drive, and under that window go into the library, next go to the receipts folder, and delted and packages that have itunes in the name. The receipts folder tells OSX if an application is installed, and if you remov ethe application this file doesn't get removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
macAttack said:
don't reinstall OSX, double click on yuor hard drive, and under that window go into the library, next go to the receipts folder, and delted and packages that have itunes in the name. The receipts folder tells OSX if an application is installed, and if you remov ethe application this file doesn't get removed.

This is 100 per cent correct - there is no need to reinstall OSX!

OP
A

andyw

Thanks alot, i deleted the enties in receipts and it let me re-install itunes.

I was in a rush and forgot to try itunes so i'll let you know if it fixed my prob.

OP
A

andyw

Just thought i'd drop back and tell you that itunes now works fine. Thanks for your help. No doubt i'll be hanging around to get some more info :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Oh, wow. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info guys, that will come in handy
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.