lost all my pictures and music

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last night my girlfriend reinstalled our mac os x software on our imac because it was acting weird and now all of our music and pictures are gone and I can't find them. I could care less about the music, I just want to know if anyone knows anyway i can get my pictures back...We didn't back them up with time machine and I'm thinking were screwed...If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate...Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Firstly, use the machine as little as possible. If you didn't re-format you'll have a half-decent chance of recovering images

Secondly, try Data Rescue 3. I think it may be cheaper on the Mac App Store. There are no guarantees of success but this is a very capable application.

Thirdly, if that doesn't work you'll need to consider professional data recovery

Lastly, backup backup backup

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.